Frances Howard (actress)
Frances Howard (June 4, 1903 – July 2, 1976) was an American actress. She was the second wife of Academy Award-winning producer Samuel Goldwyn, and the paternal grandmother of actors Tony and John Goldwyn.
Frances Howard McLaughlin
June 4, 1903
Omaha, Nebraska, U.S.
|Died||July 2, 1976 73) (aged|
(m. 1925; died 1974)
|Children||Samuel Goldwyn Jr.|
|Relatives||Tony Goldwyn (grandson)|
John Goldwyn (grandson)
Born Frances Howard McLaughlin in Omaha, Nebraska in 1903 to Charles Douglas and Helen Victoria (née Howard) McLaughlin, and raised as a Roman Catholic. Her mother, nicknamed "Bonnie", had been raised a Quaker but converted to Catholicism, predeceasing her daughter by only five years. Her father was reportedly a grandson of Irish nationalist politician Daniel O'Connell. Frances had two sisters and a brother.
Frances married Samuel Goldwyn, more than two decades her senior, on April 23, 1925. They remained married until Goldwyn's death on January 31, 1974. They had one son, Samuel Goldwyn Jr. (1926–2015); their grandsons are actors Tony and John Goldwyn.
Howard died in Beverly Hills, California, aged 73, more than a year after being diagnosed with advanced cancer, for which she refused treatment which would have required invasive and disfiguring surgery. She was interred next to her husband at Forest Lawn Memorial Park, Glendale.
Howard made four films between 1925 and 1935:
- Easton, Carol. The Search for Sam Goldwyn (2014)
- Born in 1903 per Intelius
- Berg, A. Scott (2013). Goldwyn: A Biography. Simon and Schuster. ISBN 9781471130069. Retrieved October 9, 2017.
- Magill, Frank N. (2014). The 20th Century Go-N: Dictionary of World Biography. Routledge. p. 1417. ISBN 9781317740605. Retrieved October 9, 2017.
- Lentz, Harris M. III (2016). Obituaries in the Performing Arts, 2015. McFarland. p. 135. ISBN 9780786476671. Retrieved October 9, 2017.
- Ellenberger, Allan R. (2001). Celebrities in Los Angeles Cemeteries: A Directory. McFarland. p. 55. ISBN 9780786409839. Retrieved October 9, 2017.