Fountain Creek Township, Iroquois County, Illinois
Fountain Creek Township is one of twenty-six townships in Iroquois County, Illinois, USA. As of the 2010 census, its population was 368 and it contained 145 housing units. Fountain Creek Township formed from a portion of Ash Grove Township on September 15, 1868.
Fountain Creek Township
Location in Iroquois County
Iroquois County's location in Illinois
|Coordinates: 40°32′16″N 87°49′00″W|
|Established||September 15, 1868|
|• Total||36.23 sq mi (93.8 km2)|
|• Land||36.23 sq mi (93.8 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2) 0%|
|Elevation||669 ft (204 m)|
|• Density||10.2/sq mi (3.9/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (CST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
60924, 60926, 60942, 60953, 60960
According to the 2010 census, the township has a total area of 36.23 square miles (93.8 km2), all land. Nearly all of the township consists of flat, open farmland. Two small waterways, Fountain Creek and Whiskey Creek, flow northeast across the township and meet north of Goodwine.
A Union Pacific rail line connecting Chicago and St. Louis runs northeast-to-southwest through the eastern half of the township, and a branch of the defunct Chicago and Eastern Illinois Railroad crosses it near the northern border.
- Claytonville at 40.5669804°N 87.8230869°W, half a mile from the northern edge of the township on County Road 1600 East.
- Fountain Creek at 40.5161473°N 87.8108631°W on County Road 200 North.
- Goodwine at 40.5672584°N 87.7844742°W, two miles east of Claytonville on County Road 1800 East.
(This list is based on USGS data and may include former settlements.)
The township contains one cemetery: Old Apostolic, near Fountain Creek.
- Cissna Park Community Unit School District 6
- Hoopeston Area Community Unit School District 11
- Illinois' 15th congressional district
- State House District 105
- State Senate District 53
- "Fountain Creek Township, Iroquois County, Illinois". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. Retrieved 2010-01-17.
- United States Census Bureau 2007 TIGER/Line Shapefiles
- United States National Atlas
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved June 9, 2017.
- "Population, Housing Units, Area, and Density: 2010 - County -- County Subdivision and Place -- 2010 Census Summary File 1". United States Census. Retrieved 2013-05-28.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2016.