Fort Independence Indian Community of Paiute Indians
The Fort Independence Indian Community of Paiute Indians of the Fort Independence Reservation is a federally recognized tribe of Paiute and Shoshone people in the Owens Valley, in Inyo County, eastern California. As of the 2010 Census the population was 93.
|86 reservation population (2011)|
|Regions with significant populations|
|English, traditionally Owens Valley Paiute language|
|Related ethnic groups|
|other Owens Valley Paiute (or Eastern Mono)|
and Shoshone peoples
The Fort Independence Indian Community of Paiute Indians is headquartered in the town of Independence. The tribe is governed by a democratically elected tribal council. The current tribal administration is as follows.
- Chairman: Carl Dahlberg
- Vice Chairman: Alisa Lee
- Secretary Treasurer: Jack Bracken
- Gaming Commission: Wendy Stine, Chair, Daniel Miller, Vice & Carl Dahlberg, Compliance Officer.
- Tribal Administrator: Carl Dahlberg
- Assistant Tribal Administrator: Cheyenne Stone
- Bookkeeper: Anissa Eaton
- Office Assistant: Katie Stine
Enrollment into the tribe is based on the original allottees at the time, 1999, when the tribe's Article of Association where adopted and all living descendants of the original allottees who have a minimum of 1⁄16 Indian blood quantum, who are not enrolled in other tribes.
The Fort Independence Reservation (36°50′28″N 118°13′44″W) in Independence, is a federally recognized Indian reservation with a total area of 356 acres (1.44 km2) in Inyo County. It was established in 1915. In 1990, the reservation was 234 acres (0.95 km2) large with a population of 38 Indians.
- "Population." SDSU: California Indians and Their Reservations. 2011. Retrieved 2 July 2012.
- "Fort Independence Reservation." SDSU: California Indians and Their Reservations. 2011. Retrieved 2 July 2012.
- Pritzker 155
- "Tribal Government." Fort Independence Indian Resrvation. Retrieved 2 July 2012.
- "Enrollement requirements of the Fort Independence Indian Community of Paiute Indians." Native American Indian Tribes of the US. Retrieved 2 July 2012.
- Pritzker 241
- Pritzker, Barry M. A Native American Encyclopedia: History, Culture, and Peoples. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2000. ISBN 978-0-19-513877-1
- Fort Independence Indian Reservation, official website
- Fort Independence Articles of Association, National Indian Law Library
- "Fort Independence Reservation Reduces Waste by 26% through Recycling," US Environmental Protection Agency