Forestport Tower was a guyed, steel tower, insulated from the earth, so that the entire structure was used to radiate electromagnetic waves in the VLF (Very Low Frequency; 3 kHz to 30 kHz) and LF (Low Frequency; 30 kHz to 300 kHz) bands. The tower was located near Forestport in Oneida County, New York, United States. Forestport Tower was built in 1950. It had a height of 1218 ft (371.25 metres). Forestport Tower was used for experimental transmissions in the LF and VLF-range; some of these included the first tests of the LORAN-C and Omega Navigation System. On April 21, 1998 it was demolished by explosives.
|Type||Mast radiator insulated against ground|
|Location||Forestport, New York, United States|
|Destroyed||April 21, 1998|
|Height||371.25 m (1,218.01 ft)|
|Design and construction|
|Main contractor||US military|