Forbidden Cargo (1954 film)
|Directed by||Harold French|
|Produced by||Sydney Box|
|Written by||Sydney Box|
|Music by||Lambert Williamson|
|Edited by||Anne V. Coates|
|Distributed by||General Film Distributors|
|4 May 1954|
- Nigel Patrick as Inspector Michael Kenyon
- Elizabeth Sellars as Rita Compton
- Terence Morgan as Roger Compton
- Greta Gynt as Madame Simonetta
- Jack Warner as Major Alec White
- Theodore Bikel as Max
- Joyce Grenfell as Lady Flavia Queensway
- James Gilbert as Agent Larkins
- Eric Pohlmann as Steven Lasovich
- Martin Boddey as Sub-Director Holt
- Michael Hordern as Director of Customs
- Philip Stainton as Seaburyness Police Sergeant (uncredited)
- Campbell Singer as River Police Sergeant (uncredited)
Leonard Maltin noted a "Modest drama," which was "enlivened by a solid cast"; British Pictures noted a "Nice cast, but dreary story"; Allmovie wrote, "Apart from the always delightful Joyce Grenfell, Forbidden Cargo is humorless Dragnet material transplanted to the high seas"; while Sky Cinema noted a "workmanlike British thriller from the Fifties, directed by Harold French, has a documentary feel, with some crisp dialogue by Sydney Box. The suave Nigel Patrick stars as the customs investigator alerted to nefarious coastal activities by none other than the wonderful Joyce Grenfell. She is cast as an aristocratic birdwatcher who is most put out that a suspicious landing craft should disturb her nesting birds. Other stalwarts appearing include Elizabeth Sellars and Terence Morgan as brother-and-sister smugglers, Jack Warner, Greta Gynt, Michael Hordern and Eric Pohlmann, particularly good as a Polish racketeer. A pleasing period piece."
- Spicer, Andrew (5 September 2006). "Sydney Box". Manchester University Press – via Google Books.
- Andrew Spicer, Sydney Box Manchester Uni Press 2006 p 153
- "Forbidden Cargo (1954)".
- "Forbidden Cargo (1954) - Overview - TCM.com". Turner Classic Movies.
- Absalom, David. "ARCHIVE Fo - For: British Films of the 30s, 40s and 50s". www.britishpictures.com.
- "Forbidden Cargo (1954) - Harold French - Synopsis, Characteristics, Moods, Themes and Related - AllMovie". AllMovie.
- "Forbidden Cargo".