For Certain Because
For Certain Because is the fifth UK album by the Hollies and their second released in 1966. It was the first Hollies album in which all the songs were written by members Allan Clarke, Graham Nash, and Tony Hicks, and the first on which they did not use the pseudonym "Ransford". It was also the first Hollies album recorded with new bassist Bernie Calvert.
|For Certain Because|
|Studio album by|
|Released||9 December 1966|
|Recorded||20 June–17 October 1966 (except 17 November 1965 for "Don't Even Think About Changing")|
|Studio||Abbey Road Studios, London|
|Label||Parlophone PMC 7011 (mono)/|
PCS 7011 (stereo) (UK)
Imperial LP-9339 (mono)/
LP-12339 (stereo) (US)
Capitol ST-6210/T-6210 (Can)
|The Hollies chronology|
Imperial Records, USA
|Encyclopedia of Popular Music|
Retitled Stop! Stop! Stop! for the US and Canadian markets and issued with a different, full-color cover image of the group in the US market, this was also the fifth Hollies album released in the US and Canada, although the third released in 1966. It was the first Hollies album on which the track listing for all of the US, the Canadian, and the UK versions remained the same; that would not happen again until the 1970s. In addition, other markets used the title Stop! Stop! Stop! when issuing or reissuing this album, including the UK, which retitled it as Stop! Stop! Stop! for a 1971 budget-line reissue. In 1983, Liberty Records in the US reissued this album as Pay You Back With Interest without the tracks "Stop! Stop! Stop!" and "High Classed".
Stop! Stop! Stop! was the Hollies' last new album for Imperial Records in the US and for Capitol Records in Canada. Their next new album, Evolution, would be released in the US and Canada on Epic Records while remaining on Parlophone/EMI in the UK and would revert to having a different track lineup between the US/Canadian and UK versions.
|1.||"What’s Wrong with the Way I Live"||Clarke||2:02|
|2.||"Pay You Back with Interest"||Clarke and Nash||2:46|
|3.||"Tell Me to My Face"||Nash||3:09|
|5.||"Suspicious Look in Your Eyes"||Clarke||3:37|
|9.||"What Went Wrong"||Clarke||2:12|
|10.||"Crusader"||Clarke and Nash||3:48|
|11.||"Don't Even Think About Changing"||Clarke||2:13|
|12.||"Stop! Stop! Stop!"||Clarke||2:58|
- Allan Clarke — vocals, harmonica
- Tony Hicks — lead guitar, banjo, vocals
- Graham Nash — rhythm guitar, vocals
- Bobby Elliott — drums
- Bernie Calvert — bass guitar except on "Don't Even Think About Changing", piano
- Eric Haydock — bass guitar on "Don't Even Think About Changing"
- Mike Vickers — orchestral arrangements on "High Classed", "What Went Wrong" and "Crusader"
- Unterberger, Richie. "Allmusic review". Allmusic.com. Retrieved 2012-06-30.
- Larkin, Colin (2007). Encyclopedia of Popular Music (4th ed.). Oxford University Press. ISBN 978-0195313734.
- For Certain Because at Discogs (list of releases)
- "Discography". Hollies.co.uk. 1966-12-09. Retrieved 2012-06-30.
- Official Hollies information page for Stop! Stop! Stop!
- Listing for Bus Stop/Stop! Stop! Stop! CD