Florida Trend is a monthly magazine covering Florida business, industry, education, and leisure. David G. Denor is the magazine's publisher.
April 2016 cover of Florida Trend
|Owner(s)||Times Publishing Company|
|Publisher||David G. Denor|
|Headquarters||490 First Avenue South|
St. Petersburg, Florida 33701, United States
|Circulation||59,456 (Dec 2015)|
Florida Trend is read by business executives, government officials, and civic leaders. It has an audited circulation of approximately 59,456 copies each month with readership of approximately 250,000. Articles include Florida business developments, biographical profiles, industry reports, and a news round-up titled "Around the State". There is also coverage of Florida restaurants, resorts, professions, the environment and politics.
Founded in 1958, Florida Trend was the nation's first regional business magazine. Subscribers are 85% executives, managers, owners, and professionals. They average reader is age 58, has an income of $268,000, and a net household worth of $2.26 million. Florida Trend is a member of BPA Worldwide, Magazine Publishers Association, Alliance of Area Business Publications — among whose prominent members are Crain Communications Inc. and Casiano Communications — and Florida Magazine Association.
In addition to the 12 monthly issues of Florida Trend, specialty annuals such as Business Florida, for the state's economic development interests; Florida Small Business, to help individuals start and grow companies; Research Florida, on the innovation at universities and technology companies; Legal Elite, highlighting the top attorneys in Florida; and Florida Trend's NEXT, providing education and career guidance to high school students are also published.
Florida Trend offers statewide rankings and statistical information. Every December the magazine reviews and rates top dining spots in Florida. Florida Trend awards the best with a "Golden Spoon." The annual "Economic Yearbook" offers insights into Florida's population by age, income, projected population and more. The Florida Trend 350, which publishes in June, ranks Florida's top public and private companies by revenue. There is also an annual list of "Florida's Best Companies To Work For"—featuring "Best Companies" ranked by the results of a voluntary, anonymous survey administered to employees of small, medium and large companies in Florida.
Florida Trend has won numerous national and regional awards, including the Gerald Loeb award and the Society for Professional Journalists' Green Eyeshade awards for investigative reporting and commentary. In 2011, Florida Trend won two Green Eyeshade awards — first place for general news reporting for "Medical Makeover" and second place for investigative reporting about Florida's role in international adoptions. The Alliance of Area Business Publications (AABP) has honored Florida Trend several times. Florida Trend received eight AABP Editorial Excellence awards in 2011, nine in 2012, ten awards in 2013, seven awards in 2014, and five awards in 2015. In 2015, the AABP national competition included 622 entries from 40 publications. Additionally, Florida Trend has received several honors from the Florida Magazine Association, including 2014 and 2015 wins in the 'Best Overall Magazine' and 'Best Overall Writing' categories; and from the American Society of Business Publication Editors, who awarded the magazine with three national awards in 2015.
Operations and headquarters
Trend is based in St. Petersburg, Florida and has satellite news and advertising offices in other cities around Florida. Trend is owned by the Times Publishing Company, which is also the parent of the Tampa Bay Times, Florida's largest newspaper. The Times is, in turn, owned by the Poynter Institute, a school for journalists founded by Nelson Poynter.
- "Florida Trend Business Publication Circulation Statement" (PDF). BPA Worldwide. December 2015. Retrieved 31 March 2016.
- "BPA Audit Statement" (PDF). December 2015. Retrieved 31 March 2016.
- "Florida Trend - From the Area Alliance of Business Publications (AABP)". Retrieved 31 March 2016.
- "Readex Research Demographic Study of Florida Trend, 2013" (PDF). Retrieved 31 March 2016.
- "BusinessFlorida.com". BusinessFlorida.com. Retrieved 2016-03-08.
- "FloridaSmallBusiness.com". FloridaSmallBusiness.com. 2016-03-04. Retrieved 2016-03-08.
- "Research Florida". ResearchFlorida.com. Retrieved 2016-03-08.
- "Florida's Legal Elite". FloridaLegalElite.com. Retrieved 2016-03-08.
- "Florida Trend's NEXT". FloridaNEXT.com. Retrieved 2013-03-08.
- "Florida Trend's Golden Spoon Awards". Floridatrend.com. Retrieved 31 March 2016.
- "Florida Trend's Economic Yearbook 2016". Floridatrend.com. 2016-01-04. Retrieved 31 March 2016.
- "Florida's Best Companies to Work For". Floridatrend.com. Retrieved 31 March 2016.
- "Society of Professional Journalist's Green Eyeshade Awards". Spj.org. Archived from the original on 2007-10-04. Retrieved 2013-03-08.
- "Florida Trend Awards, June 2011". Floridatrend.com. 2011-06-28. Retrieved 2013-03-08.
- "Florida Trend Awards, June 2012". Floridatrend.com. 2012-06-25. Retrieved 2014-07-01.
- "Florida Trend Awards, June 2013". Floridatrend.com. 2013-06-25. Retrieved 2014-07-01.
- "Florida Trend Awards, June 2015". Floridatrend.com. 2015-06-30. Retrieved 2016-03-30.
- "Florida Trend Awards, August 2014". Floridatrend.com. 2015-08-11. Retrieved 2016-03-31.
- "Florida Trend Awards, August 2015". Floridatrend.com. 2015-08-10. Retrieved 2016-03-31.
- "2015 ASBPE National Awards of Excellence, August 2015" (PDF). asbpe.org. 2015-08-10. Retrieved 2016-03-31.