Rice, pictured in 1940
|Born||February 14, 1907|
Cleveland, Ohio, U.S.
|Died||February 23, 1974 67) (aged|
Honolulu, Hawaii, U.S.
David W. Dade
(m. 1926; div. 1928)
(m. 1930; div. 1931)
(m. 1937; div. 1939)
Blonde, pretty, and wholesome, Rice was cast as the reliable girlfriend in several films for Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer. MGM gradually provided her with more substantial roles, occasionally in prestige productions. Rice never became a major figure in films, but she performed in a number of screen pairings with Robert Young.
Her most widely seen performances were in Double Wedding (1937), in which she was billed third in the cast credits behind William Powell and Myrna Loy, Sweethearts (1938) with Jeanette MacDonald and Nelson Eddy, and The Marx Brothers film At The Circus (1939).
During the 1940s the quality of her roles steadily decreased and in 1947 she retired.
Rice married four times, with her fourth marriage lasting until her death.
- Fugitive Lady (1934) - Ann Duncan
- The Best Man Wins (1935) - Ann Barry
- Under Pressure (1935) - Pat Dodge
- Carnival (1935) - Miss Holbrook
- Death Flies East (1935) - Evelyn Vail
- The Awakening of Jim Burke (1935) - Tess Hardie
- Guard That Girl (1935) - Helen Bradford
- Escape from Devil's Island (1935) - Johanna Harrington
- Super-Speed (1935) - Billie Devlin
- Pride of the Marines (1936) - Molly Malone
- Panic on the Air (1936) - Mary Connor aka Cremer
- Blackmailer (1936) - Joan Rankin
- Women Are Trouble (1936) - Ruth Nolan
- Sworn Enemy (1936) - Margaret 'Peg' Gattle
- The Longest Night (1936) - Joan Sutton
- Under Cover of Night (1937) - Deb Reed
- Man of the People (1937) - Abbey Reid
- Riding on Air (1937) - Betty Harrison
- Married Before Breakfast (1937) - Kitty Brent
- Double Wedding (1937) - Irene Agnew
- Navy Blue and Gold (1937) - Patricia 'Pat' Gates
- Beg, Borrow or Steal (1937) - Joyce Steward
- Paradise for Three (1938) - Hilde Tobler
- Fast Company (1938) - Garda Sloane
- Vacation from Love (1938) - Patricia Lawson
- Sweethearts (1938) - Kay Jordan
- Stand Up and Fight (1939) - Susan Griffith
- Four Girls in White (1939) - Norma Page
- The Kid From Texas (1939) - Margo Thomas
- Miracles for Sale (1939) - Judy Barclay
- At the Circus (1939) - Julie Randall
- Little Accident (1939) - Alice Pearson
- Broadway Melody of 1940 (1940) - Amy Blake
- Girl in 313 (1940) - Joan Matthews
- Phantom Raiders (1940) - Cora Barnes
- The Secret Seven (1940) - Lola Hobbs
- Cherokee Strip (1940) - Kate Cross
- Mr. District Attorney (1941) - Terry Parker
- Father Takes a Wife (1941) - Enid
- Doctors Don't Tell (1941) - Diana Wayne
- The Blonde from Singapore (1941) - Mary Brooks
- Borrowed Hero (1941) - Ann Thompson
- Tramp, Tramp, Tramp (1942) - Pam Martin
- Let's Get Tough! (1942) - Nora Stevens
- Stand By All Networks (1942) - Frances Prescott
- The Boss of Big Town (1942) - Linda Gregory
- The Ghost and the Guest (1943) - Jacqueline 'Jackie' DeLong / Frye (final film role)
- Nugent, Frank S. (August 10, 1939). "Miracles for Sale (1939) THE SCREEN; Murder in Magicians' Row Is the Theme of 'Miracles for Sale,' the New Mystery at the Criterion". The New York Times.
- Harper, William Arthur (1999). How You Played the Game: The Life of Grantland Rice. University of Missouri Press. p. 130. ISBN 9780826212047. Retrieved 27 January 2018.
- Niemeyer, H.H. (May 15, 1938). "No Help from Famous Father". St. Louis Post-Dispatch. Missouri, St. Louis. p. 45. Retrieved January 26, 2018 – via Newspapers.com.
- "Florence Rice Dies; Screen Actress, 67". The New York Times. New York, New York City. February 26, 1974. Archived from the original on 27 January 2018. Retrieved 27 January 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Florence Rice.|