Flag of the governor-general of Australia
The flag has existed as three versions, the original flag used between 1902 and 1909 being a Union Flag defaced with a six pointed star, crowned, surrounded by ears of corn and a gold circlet. In 1909, following the addition of a seventh point to the Commonwealth Star on the Australian Blue and Red Ensigns, the star was changed to a seven-pointed star.
On 16 July 1936 the Governor-General adopted a new flag for official use in Australia. The flag has a 1:2 ratio, it has a royal blue background and in the centre of the flag there is a Royal Crest (a crowned lion standing on a Tudor Crown) and the words "COMMONWEALTH OF AUSTRALIA" in dark blue letters on a gold scroll below the Crest. A similar design is used in most other Commonwealth realms.
The flag is flown continuously wherever the Governor-General is in residence and is also used as a car flag.
|1902–1909||A Union Flag defaced with a six pointed star, crowned, surrounded by ears of corn and a gold circlet. The crown used is the Tudor Crown.|
|1909–1936||A Union Flag defaced with a seven pointed star, crowned, surrounded by ears of corn and a gold circlet. The crown used is the Tudor Crown.|
|1936–1953||A lion statant guardant surmounted on the Tudor Crown on a blue field.|
|1953–present||A lion statant guardant surmounted upon St Edward's Crown on a blue field.|
- "Governor-General's flag". Australian Flag Society. 2016. Retrieved 10 April 2017.
- "Flag for the Governor General of the Commonwealth of Australia car flagpole and car badge, 1931". National Library of Australia. Retrieved 10 April 2017.
- Kwan, Elizabeth (1 May 2006). Flag and Nation: Australians and their National Flag Since 1901. Australia: University of New South Wales Press. p. 86. ISBN 0868405671.