Flag of Tokelau
As Tokelau is a dependent territory of New Zealand, the flag of New Zealand has been used as the official flag for Tokelau. However, in May 2008 the local parliament, the General Fono, approved a distinctive flag and national emblem for Tokelau. This flag has not yet been widely used for official purposes, but an official launch of the new flag was planned for October 2009. The Governor-General presented the flag to the Ulu-o-Tokelau as Tokelau's first official flag on 7 September 2009.
|Adopted||7 September 2009|
|Design||Flag of Tokelau approved by the Fono in 2008 and by the Queen in 2009|
In June 2007 the regional parliament (General Fono) decided over the future flag, anthem and national symbol of Tokelau. The proposed flag depicted a stylized Polynesian canoe and four stars. The stars represent the three main islands and also Swains Island, administered by the United States (American Samoa) but claimed by Tokelau. As the required supermajority was not reached in the 2007 self-determination referendum, the flag was not officially adopted.
2008 final proposal
In May 2008, the General Fono approved the final versions of the national symbols of Tokelau. The flag design approved is based on the 2007 proposal with minor changes to the arrangement of the stars, the Southern Cross is used in place of a representation of the geographic location of the islands. A national emblem was also approved at this time.
2009 royal approval
The flag was approved by the General Fono in February 2009 and by Queen Elizabeth II in August. Governor General presented the new flag to the Ulu as Tokelau's first official flag on 7 September 2009. An official launch of the new flag was planned for October 2009.
- "Tokelau (New Zealand)". www.crwflags.com. Retrieved 14 November 2017.
- Official site for the Tokelau Council of Ongoing Government. "Tokelau decides on Flag, Anthem and National Symbol". Bulletin from June 19, 2007. Retrieved 2007-10-23.
- "Tokelau Government". www.tokelau.org.nz. Archived from the original on 14 October 2008. Retrieved 14 November 2017.
- "Government of Tokelau". www.tokelau.org.nz. Retrieved 14 November 2017.
- "Tokelau Flag and National Symbol". www.tokelau.org.nz. Retrieved 14 November 2017.
- "New flag for Tokelau: Governor-General presents the Ulu-o-Tokelau with its first official flag" (Press release). Governor-General of New Zealand. 7 September 2009.