Fish River (Oberon)
Fish River, pictured near O'Connell, 2013
|Etymology||the amount of fish in the river|
|State||New South Wales|
|IBRA||South Eastern Highlands|
|⁃ location||near Shooters Hill|
|⁃ elevation||1,160 m (3,810 ft)|
|Mouth||confluence with the Macquarie River|
|near White Rock|
|668 m (2,192 ft)|
|Length||119 km (74 mi)|
|River system||Macquarie catchment, Murray–Darling basin|
|⁃ left||Campbells River|
|⁃ right||Duckmaloi River|
The Fish River rises on the plateau south east of Oberon, and flows generally to the north-west, becoming the main headwater of the Macquarie River just east of Bathurst. The river is impounded by a reservoir near Oberon which supplies water for the region. The Fish River descends 493 metres (1,617 ft) over its 119 kilometres (74 mi) course.
The Fish River was given its name by George Evans in 1813, because of the large number of fish they found in it, being a rare permanent stream.
- "Macquarie-Bogan River catchment" (map). Office of Environment and Heritage. Government of New South Wales.