Firth of Tay (Antarctica)

Firth of Tay (63°22′S 55°45′W) is a sound or firth, 12 miles (19 km) long and 6 miles (10 km) wide, extending in a northwest–southeast direction between the northeast side of Dundee Island and the east portion of Joinville Island. It merges to the northwest with Active Sound with which it completes the separation of Dundee and Joinville Islands. It was discovered in 1892–93 by Captain Thomas Robertson of the Dundee whaling expedition and named by him after the Firth of Tay of Scotland.[1]

See also

References

 This article incorporates public domain material from the United States Geological Survey document "Tay, Firth of" (content from the Geographic Names Information System).


This article is issued from Wikipedia. The text is licensed under Creative Commons - Attribution - Sharealike. Additional terms may apply for the media files.