Aerial photo from south east. South Esk River visible.
|Population||366 (2011 census)|
|• Density||79.6/km2 (206/sq mi)|
|Elevation||232 m (761 ft)|
|Area||4.6 km2 (1.8 sq mi)|
|LGA(s)||Break O'Day Council|
The Fingal area was surveyed in 1824 by Roderic O'Connor and John Helder Wedge, and is believed to have been named after Fingal's Cave in the Inner Hebrides of Scotland rather than Fingal in Ireland. The town of Fingal came into existence in 1827 as a convict station, and experienced a boom when Van Diemen's Land's first payable gold was discovered in nearby Mangana.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (31 October 2012). "2011 Community Profiles: Fingal". 2011 Census of Population and Housing. Retrieved 13 November 2012.
- Fingal: Quiet and attractive rural town, The Sydney Morning Herald, February 8, 2004.
- Premier Postal History. "Post Office List". Premier Postal Auctions. Retrieved 16 June 2012.
|Wikivoyage has a travel guide for Fingal (Tasmania).|
- Fingal Online Access Centre, Tasmanian Communities Online