Finchley War Memorial
Finchley War Memorial(IWM Ref:10972) is located in Ballards Lane, North Finchley, outside the United Services Club. Unveiled by Viscount Lascelles on the 13th November 1925 and was attended by Thousands of people. One thousand Men of Finchley, Husbands, Sons and Comrades made the Supreme Sacrifice in World War One in the hour of their Country's need. After the ceremony dignitaries addressed a tightly packed gathering in the St Kilda Hall. Finchley sent over five thousand men to the Colours. They are gone but the people of Finchley have not forgotten. (By Public Subscription cost of Finchley Memorial £500).
Finchley United Services Club the large Granite Cross at Finchley War Memorial is inside a maintained fenced enclosure, the gates have the words St Kildas on them named after the Scottish Island. The Bronze sculptured panel contains a carved relief with the figures of three servicemen a Soldier in full trench kit, with steel helmet, cape and fixed bayonet flanked by the busts of a Sailor and an Airman. There is an inscription on the top which reads above the Soldier “Victory won by Sacrifice” and below the Soldier “At the Going down of the Sun and in the Morning we will Remember them.” There is a Flagpole behind the stone cross .OS Grid Ref: TQ 261 921.Either side of the memorial are two memorial plaques the Finchley Metropolitan Tramway War Memorial (18 names),(IWM Ref 64400) and the Hendon Garage War Memorial(52 names),(IWM Ref 64399) who were relocated after the buildings where they were hanging were demolished. Names are recorded in a book at the Memorial club.
In grateful Memory of Men of Finchley who By service on Land Sea And in the Air gave their Lives for their Country. 1914 - 1919 1939 – 1945
No names are inscribed on the Main Memorial. Unveiled November 13, 1925 by Lord Lascelles.
The Memorial remembers those Servicemen and Women up to the present day who have lost their lives in conflict and also there loved ones, family and friends who they left behind. A Service of Remembrance occurs every year on Remembrance Sunday at the Memorial with a two minutes silence and the Last Post sounds followed by a march past. Ballards Lane is closed so relatives and members of the community can pay their respects. Recorded IWM Ref: 10972. Barnet Press 4 February 1922 Finchley Branch of the British Legion has acquired 'St Kilda' in Ballards Lane as a club. Martin Coyle.
A separate and original memorial in the form of a bronze plaque is located at Finchley Memorial Hospital. It commemorates the local men who died during the First World War.