Final Appointment is a 1954 British comedy thriller film directed by Terence Fisher, and starring John Bentley, Eleanor Summerfield and Hubert Gregg. It also featured Arthur Lowe, later to become famous for his portrayal of Captain Mainwaring in Dad's Army, in an early role. The film was produced by Francis Searle for Act Films Ltd, and was released in the U.S. as The Last Appointment. A sequel, Stolen Assignment, also featuring sleuthing journalists Mike Billings and Jenny Drew, appeared the following year.
|Directed by||Terence Fisher|
|Produced by||Francis Searle|
|Written by||Kenneth R. Hayles|
|Based on||the BBC radio play Death Keeps a Date by Sidney Nelson|
& Maurice Harrison
|Edited by||John Ferris|
Association of Cinema Technicians (A.C.T.)
|Distributed by||Monarch Film Corporation (UK)|
The film is centred on a former soldier, who had been court-martialed during the Second World War murdering the officers who had passed sentence on him. A newspaper journalist (John Bentley) and his wisecracking girlfriend (Eleanor Summerfield) try to track down the killer when Solicitor Hartnell (Hubert Gregg), the Prosecuting Officer at the court martial, is sent Life-threatening letters.
- John Bentley as Mike Billings
- Eleanor Summerfield as Jenny Drew
- Hubert Gregg as Hartnell
- Liam Redmond as Inspector Corcoran
- Meredith Edwards as Tom Martin
- Jean Lodge as Laura Robens
- Sam Kydd as Vickery
- Charles Farrell as Percy
- Peter Bathurst as Harold Williams
- Arthur Lowe as Barratt
- Gerald Case as Australian Official
- Jessica Cairns as War Office Typist
- Tony Hilton as Jimmy
- Henry de Bray as Restaurant Manager
- John Watson as Police Sergeant
The Radio Times gave the film two out of five stars, calling it a "Capable thriller."
- Hutchings, Peter (1 January 2001). "Terence Fisher". Manchester University Press – via Google Books.
- "Hubert Gregg and Andrew Cruickshank in ' DEATH KEEPS A DATE' - BBC Home Service Basic - 25 February 1954 - BBC Genome".
- "Final Appointment (1954) - Terence Fisher - Cast and Crew - AllMovie".
- "Final Appointment (1954)".
- Action! Fifty Years in the Life of a Union. Published: 1983 (UK). Publisher: ACTT. ISBN 0 9508993 0 5. ACT Films Limited - Ralph Bond p81 (producer listed as Francis Searle)
- "Reel Streets".
- "Britmovie - Home of British Films". Archived from the original on 24 September 2015. Retrieved 10 February 2017.
- "Final Appointment - Film from RadioTimes".