|Role||Three-engine transport monoplane|
The G.2 was an important step for the Fiat company as their first low-wing cantilever monoplane. The structure was all-metal, with fabric-covered control surfaces. The wide-track tailwheel undercarriage was not retractable, and its mainwheels were covered by spats. The tailwheel (not a tailskid) was castering (free-pivoting).
The aircraft was powered by three Fiat A.60 inline piston engines, with one mounted on the fuselage nose and the other two in wing-mounted nacelles. Variants were also produced with other engine installations. The enclosed cabin had space for six passengers.
The prototype first flew in 1932.
Although the G.2 represented a promising design, it failed to sell and operated only a limited service with the ALI airline between Turin and Milan.
Data from The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Aircraft (Part Work 1982-1985), 1985, Orbis Publishing, Page 1796
- Crew: one
- Capacity: six passengers
- Length: 11.89 m (39 ft 0 in)
- Wingspan: 18.01 m (59 ft 1 in)
- Height: 3.51 m (11 ft 6¼ in)
- Wing area: 39 m2 (419.81 ft2)
- Empty weight: 1,630 kg (3,594 lb)
- Gross weight: 2,500 kg (5,512 lb)
- Powerplant: 3 × Fiat A.60 4-cylinder inverted inline piston engine, 101 kW (135 hp) each
- Maximum speed: 235 km/h (146 mph)
- Range: 700 km (435 miles)
- Service ceiling: 4,200 m (13,780 ft)
- The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Aircraft (Part Work 1982-1985), 1985, Orbis Publishing, Page 1796
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Fiat G.2.|