The Festungsbahn is a funicular railway providing access to Hohensalzburg Fortress in Salzburg municipality in Austria. It links the fortress with Festungsgasse, below the northern side of the fortress's walls. The Festungsbahn opened in 1892, and should not be confused with the much older Reisszug line that provides goods access to the castle.
One of the latest cars, dating from 2011
|Line length||191 metres (627 ft)|
|Track gauge||1,040 mm (3 ft 5 in)|
The Festungsbahn opened in 1892 as a water balance funicular operated by the Salzburger Eisenbahn- und Tramwaygesellschaft. Previously used as barracks, the line made the fortress available to a broader range of visitors.
The line was rebuilt with new cars and an electric drive in 1960, whilst the lower and upper stations were rebuilt in 1975 and 1976 respectively. In 1991 the line was again modernised, with the provision of new cars with an increased passenger capacity and a faster line speed.
Between January and April 2011, the funicular was again modernized, at a cost of €4 million. Two new vehicles were provided and the electrical equipment replaced. Panoramic windows offer a better view of the city.
|Configuration||Single track with passing loop|
|Length||191 metres (627 ft)|
|Height||99 metres (325 ft)|
|Stations: 2||Dom (47.796440°N 13.046041°E, lower)|
Festung (47.795761°N 13.046179°E, upper)
|Capacity||55 passengers per car|
|Gauge||1,040 mm (3 ft 5 in)|
|Maximum speed||5.5 metres per second (18 ft/s)|
|Journey time||1 minute|
- "FestungBahn & MönchsbergAufzug, Unternehmen, Daten und Fakten" (in German). Salzburg AG. Archived from the original on April 30, 2012. Retrieved 2014-06-01.
- "Der Reiszug - Part 1 - Presentation". Funimag. Retrieved April 22, 2009.
- "Festungsbahn". Funiculars.net. Retrieved April 23, 2009.
- "Festungsbahn" (in German). Salzburg AG. Archived from the original on March 5, 2016. Retrieved July 12, 2013.
- "Geschichte und Technik" [History and Technology] (in German). Salzburg AG. Archived from the original on February 22, 2012. Retrieved July 12, 2013.
- "Festungsbahn - Unternehmen" [Festungsbahn - Business] (in German). Salzburg AG. Archived from the original on August 17, 2013. Retrieved July 12, 2013.
- "Above the roofs of Salzburg: Siemens to modernize the Fortress Funicular in Austria". siemens.com. 2010-11-23. Retrieved 2018-06-10.
- "Festungsbahn - Fahrplan & Tarife" [Festungsbahn - Timetable & Fares] (in German). Salzburg AG. Archived from the original on August 17, 2013. Retrieved July 12, 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Festungsbahn.|