Ferry was originally called Clio. The area around Clio or Ferry was settled as early as 1796. A post office called Clio was established in 1849, and remained in operation until 1864. A post office called Ferry operated from 1892 until 1901.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Ferry, Ohio
- Robinson, G.F. History of Greene County, Ohio. Chicago: S.J. Clarke Publishing Company. p. 68. ISBN 978-5-87776-001-1.
- Dills, R. S. (1881). History of Greene County: Together with Historic Notes on the Northwest, and the State of Ohio ... Odell & Mayer. p. 628.
- "Greene County". Jim Forte Postal History. Archived from the original on 12 March 2016. Retrieved 13 January 2016.