Fashion Outlets of Chicago
Fashion Outlets of Chicago is an enclosed outlet mall located at Balmoral Avenue and I-294, one-half mile east of O'Hare International Airport, in Rosemont, Illinois. It opened on August 1, 2013 taking approximately $250 million to develop. The outlet mall contains more than 150 stores that range from luxury to causal. Due to the mall's proximity to O'Hare International Airport, it is frequented by travelers. To service travelers, visitors are able to shop at the mall and visit an area in the facility to print tickets and check their luggage directly to O’Hare Airport.
|Location||Rosemont, Illinois, United States|
|Address||5220 Fashion Outlets Way|
|Opening date||August 1, 2013|
|No. of stores and services||150+|
|No. of anchor tenants||4|
|Total retail floor area||530,000 square feet (49,000 m2)|
|No. of floors||2|
It is the first fully enclosed mall to open in the Chicago metropolitan area in over 20 years. The mall comprises 530,000 square feet, with Bloomingdale's Outlet, Neiman Marcus Last Call, Saks Fifth Avenue Off 5th, and Forever 21 as the anchor stores.
In May 2015, Macerich proposed an expansion plan to extend the Fashion Outlets of Chicago. The plan included the demolition of the Rosemont Theatre and rebuilding it elsewhere. The reason for the expansion is that in 2014, Rosemont received $13.4 million in state sales-tax revenue whereas they generally receive around $5-$6 million a year prior to the construction of the mall. They hope with the expansion of the mall, the revenue will increase as well. The plan is to expand the mall by about 300,000 square feet. Balmoral is also expanding and the construction is planned to end by October 31, 2015. The Balmoral plan is widening Mannheim Road and connecting Balmoral with Bessie Coleman Drive which is west of Mannheim near the international terminal of O’hare.
In March 2015, the owner of the Fashion Outlets of Chicago announced that it was selected as the 2014 Best Factory Outlet Center in the world at the MAPIC Awards. The mall was the recipient of the ICSC's 2014 U.S. Design and Development Gold.
- "Macerich Tourism : Shopping Locations: Fashion Outlets of Chicago". www.macerichtourism.com. Retrieved 2015-10-26.
- Sharoff, Robert (23 April 2013). "Outlet Mall With Fashion Ambition Rises Near Chicago". The New York Times. Retrieved 16 October 2013.
- "Guide to Chicago's newest outlet mall". CBSLocal.com. 30 July 2013. Retrieved 16 October 2013.
- Riley, Marcus (1 August 2013). "Chicago Fashion Outlet Mall Opens its Doors". NBC 5 Chicago. Retrieved 16 October 2013.
- "Photo Release -- Fashion Outlets of Chicago Chooses Daktronics Digital Outdoor Advertising Technology". GlobeNewswire News Room. Retrieved 2015-10-27.
- "Balmoral Extension To O'Hare Nears Finish Line". Journal & Topics Newspapers Online. Retrieved 2015-10-26.
- "Macerich's Fashion Outlets of Chicago Earns Prestigious MAPIC Award as Best Outlet Centre in the World in 2014". www.prnewswire.com. Retrieved 2015-10-26.
- "Macerich Earns Top Ranking In U.S. Retail Sector In 2015 From Global Real Estate Sustainability Benchmark (GRESB)". www.prnewswire.com. Retrieved 2015-10-26.