Far Eastern Federal District
The Far Eastern Federal District (Russian: Дальневосто́чный федера́льный о́круг, Dalnevostochny federalny okrug) is the largest of the eight federal districts of Russia but the least populated, with a population of 8,371,257 (75.5% urban) according to the 2010 Census. The entire federal district lies within the easternmost part of Asia and covers the territory of the Russian Far East.
Far Eastern Federal District
Дальневосточный федеральный округ
Location of the Far Eastern Federal District
|Established||18 May 2000|
|• Presidential Envoy||Yury Trutnev|
|• Total||6,952,600 km2 (2,684,400 sq mi)|
|Area rank||1st of 8 (40,6% of the country)|
|• Rank||8th of 8 (5,6 % of the country)|
|• Density||1.2/km2 (3.1/sq mi)|
|Federal subjects||11 contained|
|Economic regions||1 contained|
very high · 4th
The Far Eastern Federal District was established on May 18, 2000 by President Vladimir Putin and is currently being governed by presidential envoy Yury Trutnev. In November 2018, Buryatia and Zabaykalsky Krai were added to the federal district. The seat of the Far Eastern Federal District was moved from Khabarovsk to Vladivostok in December 2018.
|#||Flag||Federal subject||Area in
|2||Republic of Buryatia||351,300||971,021||Ulan-Ude|
|3||Jewish Autonomous Oblast||36,300||176,558||Birobidzhan|
|11||Chukotka Autonomous Okrug||721,500||50,526||Anadyr|
Largest cities (with population over 75,000)
There are 82 cities in the Far Eastern Federal District, and 14 cities have population over 75,000.
Four of these cities (Komsomolsk-on-Amur (6th) in Khabarovsk Krai, Ussuriysk (10th), Nakhodka (11th), Artyom (12th) in Primorsky Krai) are not administrative centres of a federal subject. Anadyr, centre of Chukotka Autonomous Okrug, is one of the smallest centres of a federal subject (it has only 13,045 inhabitants). Only Magas, Ingushetia, is smaller than Anadyr.
Populations are given as of the 2010 Census:
Presidential plenipotentiary envoys to the Far Eastern Federal District
- "1.1. ОСНОВНЫЕ СОЦИАЛЬНО-ЭКОНОМИЧЕСКИЕ ПОКАЗАТЕЛИ в 2014 г." [MAIN SOCIOECONOMIC INDICATORS 2014]. Regions of Russia. Socioeconomic indicators - 2015 (in Russian). Russian Federal State Statistics Service. Retrieved July 26, 2016.
- Russian Federal State Statistics Service (2011). "Всероссийская перепись населения 2010 года. Том 1" [2010 All-Russian Population Census, vol. 1]. Всероссийская перепись населения 2010 года [2010 All-Russia Population Census] (in Russian). Federal State Statistics Service.
- "Sub-national HDI - Area Database - Global Data Lab". hdi.globaldatalab.org. Retrieved September 13, 2018.
- "Far Eastern Federal District, Russia Guide". russiatrek.org. Retrieved May 26, 2019.
- "Официальный интернет-портал правовой информации". publication.pravo.gov.ru. Retrieved November 4, 2018.
- meduza.io https://meduza.io/news/2018/12/13/putin-perenes-stolitsu-dalnevostochnogo-federalnogo-okruga-vo-vladivostok. Retrieved December 13, 2018. Missing or empty
- Подписано соглашение о создании Владивостокской агломерации (in Russian)
- Meeting of Frontiers: Siberia, Alaska, and the American West (includes materials on Russian Far East) (in English) (in Russian)
- Unofficial website of the Far Eastern Federal District (in Russian)