False Witness, also known as The Diplomat internationally, is a two-part Australian television mini-series, produced by Screentime Australia, and broadcast simultaneously on the Australian subscription television channel UK.TV and BBC HD. Commissioned as part of its required drama output, False Witness was the third in a series of drama commissions by the network in 2008, following Make or Break and Supernova.
UK DVD cover
|Also known as||The Diplomat|
|Written by||Peter Gawler|
|Directed by||Peter Andrikidis|
|Theme music composer||Burkhard Dallwitz|
|Country of origin|
|No. of series||1|
|No. of episodes||2 (list of episodes)|
|Executive producer(s)||Justin Bodle|
|Running time||90 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Screen Australia|
|Original release||11 January –|
12 January 2009
Inspired by real events, The Diplomat stars Dougray Scott as Ian Porter, a British diplomat to Tajikistan, who comes under scrutiny from Scotland Yard whilst trying to prevent the sale of a nuclear bomb formerly belonging to the Soviet Union.
The series premiered in Australia on 11 January 2009, with the second episode broadcast the following night. The series also broadcast in the United States on iOn as a four-hour event on 17 January 2009. Despite being co-produced by the BBC, the series was never broadcast on terrestrial television in the United Kingdom, instead being made available on DVD on 14 March 2011 via Showbox Entertainment. The series did, however, broadcast on True Entertainment.
- Dougray Scott as Ian Porter
- Rachael Blake as Detective Chief Inspector Julie Hales
- Jeremy Lindsay Taylor as Mark Wilson
- Richard Roxburgh as Charles Van Koors
- Claire Forlani as Pippa Porter
- Don Hany as Sergei Krousov
- Jonny Pasvolsky as Antonio Morelli
- Tony Martin as Bill Murray
- Socratis Otto as Shannon Cross
- Stephen Curry as Detective Sergeant Neil Trent
- Alex Menglet as Dimitri
- Shane Briant as Winston Beale
- Costa Ronin as Vladimir
- Knox, David (9 January 2009). "False Witness". tvtonight.com.au. Retrieved 9 January 2009.
- Knox, David (11 June 2008). "UKTV commissions international thriller". tvtonight.com.au. Retrieved 12 June 2008.
- "The Diplomat - Series 1, Episode 1". Radio Times. Retrieved 26 April 2019.
- Knox, David (31 December 2008). "Airdate: False Witness". tvtonight.com.au. Retrieved 4 January 2009.
- Stanley, Alessandra (22 January 2009). "Chases, Gunplay and Terrorism, Without the Familiar Landmarks". NY Times. Retrieved 26 April 2019.
- "The Diplomat [DVD]". Amazon. Retrieved 26 April 2019.
- "The Diplomat - Series 1, Episode 2". Radio Times. Retrieved 26 April 2019.