Falkenberg Town Hall
Coat of arms
|• Total||1,825.72 km2 (704.91 sq mi)|
|• Land||1,108.89 km2 (428.14 sq mi)|
|• Water||716.83 km2 (276.77 sq mi)|
|Area as of 1 January 2014.|
|• Density||24/km2 (63/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
|ISO 3166 code||SE|
|Province||Halland and Västergötland|
The municipality was created in 1971 when the City of Falkenberg was amalgamated with six rural municipalities (themselves formed by the 1952 local government reform) and part of a seventh. There are 24 original entities within the area.
Today, Falkenberg holds a strong position in the food and beverage industry with companies such as Arla Foods, Carlsberg and SIA Glass having plants in the city. In the inland Gekås, a major department store, draws visitors from all over the country. Falkenberg is also a tourist city, mainly for its many beaches.
The main income for the Municipality is tourism from around Sweden, Germany, Denmark, Holland and Norway. The food industry is important. Here has Carlsberg Brewery a plant with 570 employees and Arla Foods who makes cheese has a factory with 400 employees. Other important workplaces is the Gekås shoppingcentre in Ullared which has more than 1,100 employees. The centre is a "Mecka" for low-price shoppers and the company earns more than 2 700 000 000 (340 500 000 US Dollars) kronor each year. The shoppingcentre in Wal-Mart style (almost without food)company has 3,800,000 visitors each year which makes it Sweden's most visited place.
The Right Party was the major party until 1931, when the Social Democratic Party gained that position. The municipality has, however, been a stronghold for the centre-right, whose parties have led the municipality thereafter, except for the period between 1994-1998. The current mayor is Per Svensson (Socialdemokratic Party) and the deputy mayor is Annelie Andelén (Centre).
|Number of seats in the municipal assembly|
|Miljöpartiet de Gröna||2||2||2|
There are 17 urban areas (also called a tätort, or locality) in Falkenberg Municipality.
In the table the localities are listed according to the size of the population as of 31 December 2005. The municipal seat is in bold characters.
- Pär Zetterberg, football player
- Niclas Alexandersson, football player
- Magnus Svensson, football player
- Stellan Bengtsson, former world champion, table tennis
- Per-Gunnar Andersson, race driver
- Lizzy DeVine, former lead singer of Vains Of Jenna
- J.P White, former bassist of Vains Of Jenna
- Nicki Kin, former guitarist of Vains Of Jenna
- Jacki Stone, former drummer Vains Of Jenna
- "Statistiska centralbyrån, Kommunarealer den 1 januari 2014" (in Swedish). Statistics Sweden. 2014-01-01. Archived from the original (Microsoft Excel) on 2016-09-27. Retrieved 2014-04-18.
- "Folkmängd i riket, län och kommuner 31 december 2018" (in Swedish). Statistics Sweden. February 21, 2019. Retrieved February 23, 2019.
- "Valmyndigheten: Procent och mandatfördelning kommunfullmäktigvalet 1998". Archived from the original on 2011-06-10. Retrieved 2008-12-08.
- "Valmyndigheten: Val till kommunfullmäktige i Falkenberg". Archived from the original on 2011-06-10. Retrieved 2008-12-08.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2008-05-01. Retrieved 2010-01-19.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)