Falaj 2-class patrol vessel
|Length:||55.7 m (182.74 ft)|
|Beam:||8.8 m (28.87 ft)|
|Propulsion:||2 × MTU diesels 16V 4000 M90 (2,720 kW each), 4 × Isotta Fraschini generators|
|Complement:||28 officers and crew|
|Sensors and |
|Electronic warfare |
The Falaj 2 class is based on the Italian Diciotti class designed offshore patrol vessel, presently in use with the Italian Coast Guard. The Diciotti class is based itself on the earlier experimental Saettia class, a missile attack boat demonstrator designed and built by Fincantieri. The specifications require a highly flexible and versatile vessel to carry out a wide range of missions, from patrol and surveillance operations over attacks against both targets at sea and on land in national and international scenarios up to self-defence against threats from the air or surface. A special feature of the vessels is their particular stealth geometry to ensure their reduced radar detect ability. Also noted is the high standard of accommodation and safety.
The contract over Falaj 2 class vessels was signed 2009, according to other sources 2010. It included the option for two more vessels to be built by Etihad Ship Building, a newly established joint venture based in Abu Dhabi between Fincantieri of Italy and the local firms Melara Middle East and Al Fattan Ship Industry. The technology transfer is part of the order.
- Naval Vessel. Fincatieri product overview. |accessdate=2012-03-03.
- Saettia MK4, Diciotti Class Patrol Vessel, Iraq. naval-technology.com - News, views and contacts from the global Naval industry. |accessdate=2012-03-03.
- Naval Vessel. Fincatierei product overview. |accessdate=2012-03-03.
- Mini submarines to be built in capital. "The National". |accessdate=2012-03-03.
- "Fincantieri Launches the "Ganthoot", First of Two Falaj 2 class Stealth Patrol Vessel for the UAE Nav". naval-technology.com. 25 January 2012. Retrieved 12 August 2012.
- "Fincantieri launches UAE Navy's Qarnen patrol vessel". naval-technology.com. 13 June 2012. Retrieved 12 August 2012.