FIVB Volleyball Men's Challenger Cup
The FIVB Volleyball Men's Challenger Cup is an upcoming international volleyball competition contested by the senior men's national teams of the members of the Fédération Internationale de Volleyball (FIVB), the sport's global governing body. The first tournament was played between 20 and 24 June, 2018 in Matosinhos, Portugal.
|Current season, competition or edition:|
|No. of teams||6|
|Official website||FIVB Volleyball Challenger Cup|
The creation of the tournament was announced in October 2017 (alongside with the announcement of the Nations League) as a joint project between the FIVB, the IMG and 21 national federations. The Challenger Cup serves as a qualifying tournament for the aforementioned Nations League. The FIVB Challenger Cup is held before the Nations League Final Round and the winner earns the right to participate in the next year's Nations League.
A corresponding tournament for women's national teams is the FIVB Volleyball Women's Challenger Cup.
The six qualified teams play in 2 pools of 3 teams in a round-robin format. The top 2 teams of each pool qualify for the semifinals. The first ranked teams play against the second ranked teams in this round. The winners of the semifinals advance to compete for the Challenger Cup title. The winners will qualify for the next year's Nations League as a challenger team.
|AVC (Asia)||0 or 1 (intercontinental playoff with CSV representative)|
|CSV (South America)||0 or 1 (intercontinental playoff with AVC representative)|
|NORCECA (North America)||1|
List of hosts by number of final championships hosted.
- 1st – Champions
- 2nd – Runners-up
- 3rd – Third place
- 4th – Fourth place
- – Did not enter / Did not qualify
- – Hosts
- Q – Qualified for forthcoming tournament
|Year||Host||Final||3rd place match||Teams|
|Champions||Score||Runners-up||3rd place||Score||4th place|
|Totals (6 nations)||2||2||2||6|
Nations League qualifier
|Year||Remaining Challenger Teams||Challenger Cup Winner|
- "FIVB announces the Volleyball Nations League". FIVB.org. 12 October 2017. Retrieved 9 March 2018.
- "FIVB Executive Committee embraces digital transformation". FIVB.org. 7 December 2017. Retrieved 9 March 2018.
- "Six teams line up for Volleyball Challenger Cup and one open berth in 2019 Men's VNL". FIVB.org. 19 June 2018. Retrieved 19 June 2018.
- Fédération Internationale de Volleyball – official website