FAIR data are data which meet standards of findability, accessibility, interoperability, and reusability. A March 2016 publication by a consortium of scientists and organizations called these the "FAIR Guiding Principles for scientific data management and stewardship", using FAIR as an acronym and making the concept easier to discuss.
The Association of European Research Libraries recommends the use of FAIR principles.
A 2017 paper by advocates of FAIR data reported that awareness of the FAIR concept was increasing among various researchers and institutes, but also, understanding of the concept was becoming confused as different people apply their own differing perspectives to it.
Guides on implementing FAIR data practices state that the cost of a data management plan in compliance with FAIR data practices should be 5% of the total research budget.
In 2019 the Global Indigenous Data Alliance (GIDA) released the CARE Principles for Indigenous Data Governance as a complementary guide. The CARE principles extend standards outlined in FAIR data to include Collective benefit, Authority to control, Responsibility, and Ethics to ensure data guidelines address historical contexts and power differentials. The CARE Principles for Indigenous Data Governance were drafted at the International Data Week and Research Data Alliance Plenary co-hosted event “Indigenous Data Sovereignty Principles for the Governance of Indigenous Data Workshop,” 8 November 2018, Gaborone, Botswana.
- Wilkinson, Mark D.; Dumontier, Michel; Aalbersberg, IJsbrand Jan; Appleton, Gabrielle; et al. (15 March 2016). "The FAIR Guiding Principles for scientific data management and stewardship". Scientific Data. 3: 160018. doi:10.1038/sdata.2016.18. OCLC 961158301. PMC 4792175. PMID 26978244.
- G20 leaders (5 September 2016). "G20 Leaders' Communique Hangzhou Summit". europa.eu. European Commission.
- "European Commission embraces the FAIR principles - Dutch Techcentre for Life Sciences". Dutch Techcentre for Life Sciences. 20 April 2016.
- Association of European Research Libraries (13 July 2018). "Open Consultation on FAIR Data Action Plan - LIBER". LIBER.
- Mons, Barend; Neylon, Cameron; Velterop, Jan; Dumontier, Michel; da Silva Santos, Luiz Olavo Bonino; Wilkinson, Mark D. (7 March 2017). "Cloudy, increasingly FAIR; revisiting the FAIR Data guiding principles for the European Open Science Cloud". Information Services & Use. 37 (1): 49–56. doi:10.3233/ISU-170824. hdl:20.500.11937/53669.
- Science Europe (May 2016). "Funding research data management and related infrastructures" (PDF).
- Sandra Collins; Françoise Genova; Natalie Harrower; Simon Hodson; Sarah Jones; Leif Laaksonen; Daniel Mietchen; Rūta Petrauskaité; Peter Wittenburg (7 June 2018), "Turning FAIR data into reality: interim report from the European Commission Expert Group on FAIR data", Zenodo, doi:10.5281/ZENODO.1285272
- "CARE Principles of Indigenous Data Governance". Global Indigenous Data Alliance. Retrieved 2019-09-30.