Expo '85, officially called The International Exposition, Tsukuba, Japan, 1985 (国際科学技術博覧会 Kokusai Kagaku Gijutsu Hakurankai, "The International Science Technology Exposition"), was a world's fair held in Tsukuba, Ibaraki, Japan (Tsukuba Science City, a planned city focused on technology north of Tokyo) between Sunday, March 17 and Monday, September 16, 1985. The theme of the fair was "Dwellings and Surroundings - Science and Technology for Man at Home". Attendance was over 20 million and 48 countries participated, along with several companies.
|Category||International specialized exposition|
|Name||The International Exposition, Tsukuba, Japan, 1985 (国際科学技術博覧会 Kokusai Kagaku Gijutsu Hakurankai, "The International Science Technology Exposition")|
|Area||102 hectares (250 acres)|
|Opening||March 17, 1985|
|Closure||September 16, 1985|
|Previous||1984 Louisiana World Exposition in New Orleans|
|Next||Expo 86 in Vancouver|
|Previous||Expo '70 in Osaka|
|Next||Seville Expo '92 in Seville|
|Previous||International Garden Festival in Liverpool|
|Next||Expo '90 in Osaka|
|Specialized||Expo 85 in Plovdiv|
The exhibition recognised by the Bureau International des Expositions (BIE), was devoted to the advancements in science and technology, and sought to highlight the impact of technological evolution on ordinary life to ensure that science and technology would be accessible to everyone.
The exhibition had a double intention. It was expected that the exposition would showcase Japan as a country of technological innovation. In addition, organisers hoped that the Expo would give some much needed exposure to Tsukuba, a city created 2 decades before as a scientific center, without much success.
Shown by continent, the participant countries were as follows:
In regards to the companies, the ones who were present are as follows:
Also present were the United Nations, the European Economic Community, the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) and the Asian Development Bank, along with the government of the Ibaraki prefecture.
- "1985 Tsukuba". Paris: Bureau of International Expositions. Retrieved September 12, 2016.
- "Tsukuba Expo 85, un gran espectáculo". El País (in Spanish). Madrid: Ediciones El País. March 15, 1985. Retrieved September 12, 2016.
- Ahl, David (August 1985). "Expo '85: International, but Oh, so Japanese". Creative Computing. Vol. 11 no. 8. Los Angeles: Ahl Computing. pp. 66–67.
- Narita, Tatsushi. 'Tsukuba 1985.' In Encyclopedia of World's Fairs and Expositions, ed. John E. Findling and Kimberly D. Pelle. Jefferson, NC and London:McFarland, 2008. pp. 364–367.
- "Expo '85 At Tsukuba". Popular Mechanics: 102–105. May 1985.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Expo 1985.|
- Official website of the BIE
- European Patent Office
- ICAM Cell Universe exhibit at Expo '85
- ExpoMuseum page on Expo '85
- Aerial photograph at the area, 1984
- Live performance at Expo '85 by Boz Scaggs
- The International Exposition, Tsukuba, Japan, written in Japanese but equipped with a lot of pictures of representative pavilions.