Expedition 61 is the 61st and current Expedition to the International Space Station, which began on 3 October 2019 with the undocking of the Soyuz MS-12 spacecraft. The Expedition is commanded by ESA astronaut Luca Parmitano, who became the third European and first Italian astronaut to command the ISS. Parmitano, along with his Soyuz MS-13 colleagues Aleksandr Skvortsov and Andrew Morgan, and Christina Koch from Soyuz MS-12, transferred over from Expedition 60. They were joined by Oleg Skripochka and Jessica Meir, who launched on 25 September 2019 on board Soyuz MS-15.
|Mission duration||72d 17h 34m (in progress)|
|Space Station||International Space Station|
|Began||3 October 2019 07:37 UTC|
|Arrived aboard||Soyuz MS-12 |
|EVA duration||33h 44m|
From left: NASA astronaut Andrew Morgan, Roscosmos cosmonaut Alexander Skvortsov, astronaut Luca Parmitano of ESA (European Space Agency), Roscosmos cosmonaut Oleg Skripochka, and NASA astronauts Jessica Meir and Christina Koch.
|Flight Engineer 1|
|Flight Engineer 2|
|Flight Engineer 3|
|Flight Engineer 4|
|Flight Engineer 5|
Other crewed spaceflights to the ISS
According to a Flight Planning Integration Panel (FPIP) document obtained by NASAspaceflight.com in June 2019, Expedition 61 was tentatively scheduled to see two visits from Commercial Crew Development spacecraft.
- The Crew Dragon Demo-2 mission with American astronauts Bob Behnken and Douglas Hurley had a planning date for a November 15, 2019 launch and November 22 landing, with a brief stay on the ISS in between.
- The Boeing Crewed Flight Test of the Starliner capsule had a planning date for a November 30, 2019 launch. This would see American astronauts Mike Finke, Nicole Mann, and Chris Ferguson dock to the International Space Station on December 1 and remain on the station until May 2020; it is unclear if these astronauts would be formally considered ISS visitors, part of the Expedition 61 crew, or prompt the start of Expedition 62.
- "Multinational Trio Undocks from Station, Heads Home to Earth". NASA. 3 October 2019.
- Expedition 61
- "Luca Parmitano goes Beyond". European Space Agency. 27 September 2018.
- "NASA Announces First Flight, Record-Setting Mission". NASA. 16 April 2019.
- Gebhardt, Chris (20 June 2019). "Station mission planning reveals new target Commercial Crew launch dates – NASASpaceFlight.com". NASASpaceflight.com.
- Garcia, Marc (18 October 2019). "NASA Astronauts Wrap Up Historic All-Woman Spacewalk". NASA.