Expedition 56 was the 56th expedition to the International Space Station, which began on 1 June 2018 upon the departure of Soyuz MS-07. Andrew Feustel, Oleg Artemyev, and Richard R. Arnold were transferred from Expedition 55, with Andrew Feustel taking the commander role. Alexander Gerst, Serena M. Auñón-Chancellor, and Sergey Prokopyev launched aboard Soyuz MS-09, on June 6, 2018. Expedition 56 ended with the departure of Soyuz MS-08 on 4 October 2018.
|Mission type||ISS Expedition|
|Mission duration||124d 13h 30m (Change Of Command to Soyuz MS-08 Undocking) 122d 22h 41m (Official)|
|Space Station||International Space Station|
|Began||1 June 2018 (Change of Command)|
3 June 2018 (Official) UTC
|Ended||4 October 2018 UTC|
|Arrived aboard||Soyuz MS-08|
|Departed aboard||Soyuz MS-08|
|Members||Andrew Feustel |
Richard R. Arnold
Serena M. Auñón-Chancellor
(l-r) Artemyev, Feustel, Arnold, Prokopyev, Gerst, and Auñón-Chancellor
|Flight Engineer 1|
|Flight Engineer 3|
|Flight Engineer 4|
|Flight Engineer 5|
|Flight Engineer 6|
Originally NASA Astronaut Jeanette Epps was assigned as flight engineer for Expeditions 56 and 57, becoming the first African American space station crew member and the 15th African American to fly in space, but on January 16, 2018, NASA announced that Epps had been replaced by her backup Serena M. Auñón-Chancellor with no announced explanation as to why.
|EVA #||Spacewalkers||Start (UTC)||End (UTC)||Duration|
|June 14, 2018
|June 14, 2018
|6 hours 49 minutes|
|Feustel and Arnold installed new high-definition cameras near IDA 2 mated to the front end of the station's Harmony module. The additions will provide enhanced views during the final phase of approach and docking of the SpaceX Crew Dragon and Boeing CST 100 Starliner commercial crew spacecraft that will soon begin launching from American soil.
The astronauts also swapped out a camera assembly on the starboard truss of the station used to film NASA TV and closed an aperture door on the CATS experiment outside the Japanese Kibo module in preparation for disposal on SpaceX CRS 15 and replacement by its successor, ECOSTRESS. Get aheads involved relocating an adjustable grapple bar to the S1 Truss and securing the Flex Hose Rotary Coupler in preparation for replacement on the next spacewalk. During the spacewalk Feustel beat Jerry Ross, his STS 125 crewmate Dr. John Grunsfeld, Fyoder Yurchikhin, and Peggy Whitson to become third on the list of all time space walkers.
|August 15, 2018
|August 15, 2018
|7 hours 46 minutes|
|The cosmonauts launched four cubesats and installed the Icarus experiment. Spacewalk fell behind schedule when Icarus failed to seat properly putting the spacewalk 90 minutes behind schedule and calling for an hour extension. The cosmonauts finished the spacewalk by retrieving experiments from the Pirs docking compartment and Poisk module|
Uncrewed spaceflights to the ISS
Resupply missions that visited the International Space Station during Expedition 56:
- ISS flight number
- CRS SpX-15
|Logistics||Falcon 9||29 June 2018, 09:42||2 July 2018, 13:50||3 August 2018, 16:38||32d 2h 48m||3 August 2018, 22:17|
- ISS 70P
|Logistics||Soyuz-2.1a||9 July 2018, 21:51:34||10 July 2018, 01:30:48||25 January 2019, 12:55||199d 11h 24m||25 January 2019, 16:50|
|Logistics||H-IIB||22 September 2018, 17:52:27||27 September 2018, 14:09||6 November 2018, 23:32||40d 9h 23m||10 November 2018, 21:14|
On August 29, 2018, a small leak was detected through a drop in air pressure by the flight controllers. After learning about the leak upon waking up, the astronauts discovered a 2 mm hole in the orbital module of the Soyuz MS-09 spacecraft. The hole was initially repaired with tape, followed by a permanent repair with gauze and epoxy.
- "Future Expeditions". NASA. 8 March 2018. Retrieved 12 March 2018.
- "Expedition 55 Mission Summary" (PDF). NASA. 2018. Retrieved 12 March 2018.
- "Andrew J. Feustel (PH.D.) NASA Astronaut". NASA. 3 August 2017. Retrieved 12 March 2018.
- "Richard R. Arnold II NASA Astronaut". NASA. 6 March 2018. Retrieved 12 March 2018.
- "Alexander Gerst". ESA. 9 February 2018. Retrieved 12 March 2018.
- "Serena M. Auñón-Chancellor (M.D.) NASA Astronaut". NASA. 3 August 2017. Retrieved 12 March 2018.
- Karen Northon (January 4, 2017). "NASA Assigns Upcoming Space Station Crew Members". NASA press release 17-001. Retrieved January 21, 2017.
- Karen Northon (January 18, 2018). "NASA Announces Updated Crew Assignments for Space Station Missions". NASA press release 18-004. Retrieved January 21, 2017.
- "NASA removes astronaut Jeanette Epps, Syracuse high school grad, from flight crew". syracuse.com. Retrieved 2018-01-21.
- Garcia, Mark (June 14, 2018). "Spacewalkers Complete HD Camera Installation Work". NASA.
- Richardson, Derek (August 16, 2018). "Russian spacewalk runs into overtime during 'Icarus' experiment installation". Orbital Velocity.
- Garcia, Mark (August 30, 2018). "International Space Station Status". Blogs. NASA. Retrieved October 24, 2018.
- Foust, Jeff (August 30, 2018). "ISS leak highlights concerns about orbital debris and station operations". SpaceNews. Retrieved October 24, 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to ISS Expedition 56.|