Expedition 53 was the 53rd expedition to the International Space Station, which began upon the departure of Soyuz MS-04 on September 3, 2017 and concluded upon the departure of Soyuz MS-05 on December 14, 2017. Randolph Bresnik, Paolo Nespoli and Sergey Ryazansky were transferred from Expedition 52, with Randolph Bresnik taking the commander role. Transfer of Command from Expedition 53 to Expedition 54 was done on December 13, 2017. Expedition 53 officially ended on December 14, 2017 5:14 UTC, with the undocking of Soyuz MS-05.
|Mission type||ISS Expedition|
|Space Station||International Space Station|
|Began||12 September 2017|
|Ended||14 December 2017|
|Arrived aboard||Soyuz MS-05|
|Departed aboard||Soyuz MS-05|
Randolph J. Bresnik
Mark T. Vande Hei
(l-r) Acaba, Misurkin, Vande Hei, Ryazansky, Bresnik and Nespoli
|Flight Engineer 1|
Second and last Spaceflight
|Flight Engineer 2|
Third and last Spaceflight
|Flight Engineer 3|
|Flight Engineer 4|
|Flight Engineer 5|
On March 2017, after agreements with RSA, NASA announced that Joseph Acaba will be assigned to Expedition 53 and 54 crews which previously included only Mark Vande Hei and Alexander Misurkin. Shannon Walker trained as a backup for Acaba.
Expedition 52/53 launch and docking
Soyuz MS-05 launched on July 28, 2017, transporting Randy Bresnik, Sergey Ryazansky and Paolo Nespoli, who would make up the Expedition 52/53 crew. MS-05 docked with the Rassvet module six hours later.
Expedition 53/54 launch and docking
|EVA #||Spacewalkers||Start (UTC)||End (UTC)||Duration|
|October 5, 2017
|October 5, 2017
|6 hours 55 minutes|
|Replaced Latching End Effector (LEE-A) on Canadarm2, removed multi-layer insulation from a spare direct current switching unit, prepared a flex hose rotary coupler|
|EVA 2||October 10, 2017
|October 10, 2017
|6 hours 26 minutes|
|Finished Repairs to Canadarm 2 added lubricating oil to all the working parts, Replaced the Station's Cameras which are used to film NASA TV, Installed Lens Covers, Closed and Locked a Latch on the High Pressure Gas Tanks, Rotated a Pump Module in preparation for relocating to P6 on a future spacewalk, Changed the Sockets on the degraded Latching End Effector and Reinstalled them on the new unit on Canadarm 2, Removed Handrails on Tranquility in preparation for installation of the EWS Antennas on a future spacewalk.|
|EVA 3||October 20, 2017
|October 20, 2017
|6 hours 49 minutes|
|Finished Repairs to Canadarm 2 added lubricating oil to all working parts and installed a camera and replaced a degraded one, Replaced the Station's Cameras which are used to film NASA TV, Replaced a Blown Fuse on Dextre, Removed MLI from two ORUs stored on ESP2 in preparation for them to be moved by Dextre later this year. Three get ahead task were performed by the crew MLI was removed from the Pump Modules on ESP2 Bresnik almost got the second one, but time expired and he had to close the flap on the second Pump Module it will be moved on the next spacewalk, Installed the Radiator Grapple Bars delivered on SpaceX CRS2.|
Uncrewed spaceflights to the ISS
Resupply missions that visited the International Space Station during Expedition 53:
- ISS flight number
- ISS 68P
|Logistics||Soyuz-2.1a||14 Oct 2017, 08:47:11||16 Oct 2017, 00:00||28 Mar 2018, 13:50||163d 13h 50m||26 Apr 2018, 04:08|
|Cygnus CRS OA-8E
- CRS OA-8E
|Logistics||Antares 230||12 Nov 2017, 12:20:26||14 Nov 2017, 10:04||6 Dec 2017, 13:11||22d 3h 7m||18 Dec 2017, 12:54|
- Garcia, Mark. "Crew Makes It To Space, Next Stop Station". NASA. Retrieved 1 March 2018.
- Garcia, Mark. "Expedition 53 Leaves Station, Begins Ride Home". NASA. Retrieved 1 March 2018.
- "Upcoming ISS Expeditions". spacefacts. Retrieved March 29, 2017.
- "NASA Announces Upcoming International Space Station Crew Assignments". NASA, press release 17-017. March 28, 2017.
- "New Crew Blasts Off to Station | Space Station". blogs.nasa.gov. NASA. Retrieved 20 October 2017.
- "New Crew Docks to Station | Space Station". blogs.nasa.gov. NASA. Retrieved 20 October 2017.
- "Crew Makes It To Space, Next Stop Station | Space Station". blogs.nasa.gov. NASA. Retrieved 20 October 2017.
- Garcia, Mark (2017-10-05). "Spacewalkers Wrap Up Robotic Arm Work". NASA.gov. Retrieved 2017-10-06.
- Harding, Pete (2017-10-05). "Spacewalkers conduct LEE replacement task on station's robotic arm". NASASpaceflight.com. Retrieved 2017-10-06.
- Cygnus OA-8 Cargo Craft Departs ISS after Three-Week Stay for CubeSat Deployment & Re-Entry
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to ISS Expedition 53.|