Expedition 51 was the 51st expedition to the International Space Station, which began upon the departure of Soyuz MS-02 on April 10, 2017 and concluded upon the departure of Soyuz MS-03 on June 2, 2017. Peggy Whitson, Oleg Novitskiy and Thomas Pesquet were transferred from Expedition 50, with Peggy Whitson taking the commander role. She is the first woman to command two expeditions to the ISS, having previously commanded Expedition 16.
|Mission type||ISS Expedition|
|Space Station||International Space Station|
|Began||10 April 2017 UTC|
|Ended||2 June 2017 UTC|
|Arrived aboard||Soyuz MS-03|
|Departed aboard||Soyuz MS-03|
(l-r) Fischer, Yurchikhin, Pesquet, Whitson, Novitskiy
Due to a decision to cut down the number of participating Russian cosmonauts in 2017, only two cosmonauts were launched on Soyuz MS-04 on April 20, 2017 - bringing the total crew number to five. Transfer of Command from Expedition 51 to Expedition 52 was done on June 1, 2017. Expedition 51 officially ended on June 2, 2017 10:47 UTC, with the undocking of Soyuz MS-03.
(April 2017 to June 2017)
Third and last spaceflight
|Flight Engineer 1|
|Flight Engineer 2|
|Flight Engineer 3|
|Flight Engineer 4|
|EVA #||Spacewalkers||Start (UTC)||End (UTC)||Duration|
|May 12, 2017
|May 12, 2017
|4 hours 13 minutes|
|Replaced ExPRESS Carrier Avionics (ExPCA), Installed Pressurized Mating Adapter-3 (PMA-3) Forward Shield, Installed Alpha Magnetic Spectrometer (AMS) MIL-1553 Terminator, Secured Multilayer Insulation (MLI) on Japanese Manipulator System, Relocated a Portable Foot Restrain to PMA-3|
|EVA 2||May 23, 2017
|May 23, 2017
|2 hours 46 minutes|
|Replace failed Multiplexer-Demultiplexer (MDM), Installed two Wireless Communication Anntenna's|
Uncrewed spaceflights to the ISS
Resupply missions that visited the International Space Station during Expedition 51:
- ISS flight number
|Cygnus CRS OA-7
- CRS OA-7
|Logistics||Atlas V 401||18 Apr 2017, 15:11:26||22 Apr 2017, 10:16||4 Jun 2017, 11:05||43d 49m||11 Jun 2017, 17:08|
- Chiara Palazzo Associated Press. "Nasa veteran Peggy Whitson becomes the oldest woman in space as she blasts off for ISS". Telegraph.co.uk. Retrieved 2016-11-19.
- Irene Klotz (16 November 2016). "NASA, Russia Set Flights for Trimmed-Down Space Station Crew". space.com. Retrieved 21 November 2016.
- Garcia, Mark (1 June 2017). "Station Changes Command Before Friday Crew Return". NASA. Retrieved 18 June 2017.
- "NASA, Space Station Partners Announce Crew Members for Missions in 2017". NASA. 6 August 2015. Retrieved 16 February 2016.
- Garcia, Mark (2017-05-12). "200th Station Spacewalk Comes to an End". NASA.gov. Retrieved 2017-05-12.
- Garcia, Mark (2017-05-23). "Short Spacewalk Complete After Successful Installation Work". NASA.gov. Retrieved 2017-05-23.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to ISS Expedition 51.|