Expedition 50 was the 50th expedition to the International Space Station.
HTV-6 grappled by the ISS robotic arm December 13, 2016
|Mission type||ISS Expedition|
|Space Station||International Space Station|
|Began||28 October 2016 UTC|
|Ended||10 April 2017 UTC|
|Arrived aboard||Soyuz MS-02|
|Departed aboard||Soyuz MS-02|
Robert S. Kimbrough
|EVA duration||26 hours 8 min|
(l-r) Borisenko, Kimbrough, Ryzhikov, Pesquet, Whitson, Novitsky
Robert S. Kimbrough, Andrei Borisenko and Sergey Ryzhikov transferred from Expedition 49. Expedition 50 began upon the departure of Soyuz MS-01 on October 28, 2016 and was concluded upon the departure of Soyuz MS-02 on April 10, 2017. The crew of Soyuz MS-03 were transferred to Expedition 51.
After the launch of Soyuz MS-03, Peggy Whitson, at age 56, became the oldest woman to fly into space. By taking command of Expedition 51 on April 10, 2017, she also became the first woman to command two ISS expeditions (after Expedition 16 in 2007–2008). Soyuz MS-03 docked at the International Space Station on November 19, 2016, bringing the total number of people in the station to 6.
(October to November 2016)
(November 2016 to April 2017)
|Flight Engineer 1|
|Flight Engineer 2|
|Flight Engineer 3|
Third and last spaceflight
|Flight Engineer 4|
|Flight Engineer 5|
Expedition 49/50 launch and docking
Soyuz MS-02 launched on October 19, 2016, transporting Robert S. Kimbrough, Andrei Borisenko and Sergey Ryzhikov, who would make up the Expedition 49/50 crew. MS-02 docked with the (Poisk (MRM-2) module on October 21, 2016.
Expedition 50/51 launch and docking
On 25 December 2016 the crew celebrated Christmas by floating in micro-gravity and opening Christmas presents recently delivered on a Japanese cargo spacecraft. One astronaut wore a Santa hat in orbit. The French astronaut Pesquet shared special French food with the station crew. Pesquet also made a Christmas-time special video for the ESA.
Uncrewed spaceflights to the ISS
A number of resupply missions visited the International Space Station during Expedition 50.
- ISS flight number
|Cygnus CRS OA-5
- CRS OA-5
|Logistics||Antares 230||17 Oct 2016, 23:45:40||23 Oct 2016, 11:28||21 Nov 2016, 12:35||29d 1h 7m||27 Nov 2016, 23:36|
|Logistics||Soyuz-U||1 Dec 2016, 14:51:45||Spacecraft separated from third stage before reaching orbit; loss of mission|
|Logistics||H-IIB||9 Dec 2016, 13:26:47||13 Dec 2016, 10:37||27 Jan 2017 15:45||45d 5h 8m||5 February 2017, 15:06|
- CRS SpX-10
|Logistics||Falcon 9||19 February 2017, 14:39:00||23 February 2017, 13:12||19 March 2017, 09:11||23d 19h 54m||19 March 2017, 14:00|
|Logistics||Soyuz-U||22 February 2017 05:58:33||24 February 2017, 08:34||20 Jul 2017, 17:46||146d 9h 16m||20 Jul 2017, 20:58|
|EVA #||Spacewalkers||Start (UTC)||End (UTC)||Duration|
||January 6, 2017
|January 6, 2017
|6 hours 32 minutes|
|Installed adapter plates and cables for new batteries on 3A power channel, pictures of AMS, removal of camera and routing of Ethernet cable.|
||January 13, 2017
|January 13, 2017
|5 hours 58 minutes|
|Primary objectives: Retrieve Adapter Plate E and F from the Express Pallet (EP), Install Adapter Plate F in Slot 6, Relocate Battery 4 to Adapter Plate F, Install Adapter Plate E in Slot 4, Retrieve and Install Adapter Plate D in Slot 2, Fasten H1 Bolts on Li-Ion Batteries in Slots 1 and 5|
Get-ahead tasks:Node 3 Shields Bundle #3 Temp Stow, Mobile Transporter Relay Assembly (MTRA) Camera Light Pan and Tilt Assembly (CLPA) Swap, Latching End Effector (LEE) A Worksite Interface Fixture (WIF) Adapter R&R, S0 aft to Z1 forward (Rat's Nest) Photo Mapping, Secure Solar Array Blanket Boxes (SABB) Restraints, Relocate Shields Bundle #2 to Node 3
||March 24, 2017
|March 24, 2017
|6 hours 34 minutes|
|Prepare PMA for move, EXT-2 MDM removal & replace with new EPIC MDM, Camera Work, Lubricated Canadarm2 end effector and inspected a radiator value.|
||March 30, 2017
|March 30, 2017
|7 hours 4 minutes|
|EXT-1 MDM removal & replace with new EPIC MDM, Node 3 axial shields install including replacing a lost shield with the PMA-3 cover, PMA-3 cummerbunds install, PMA-3 cover removal, PMA-3 connections, close Node 3 port CDC, Inspection & cleaning of the Earth-facing berthing port of the Harmony module|
- "'Golden' expedition: 50th commander takes charge of space station". collectspace.com. 28 October 2016. Retrieved 22 November 2016.
- "NASA's Peggy Whitson Becomes Oldest Woman in Space - ABC News". Abcnews.go.com. Retrieved 2016-11-19.
- Chiara Palazzo Associated Press. "Nasa veteran Peggy Whitson becomes the oldest woman in space as she blasts off for ISS". Telegraph.co.uk. Retrieved 2016-11-19.
- "Welcome Aboard! New Arrivals Make Six Expedition 50 Crew Members | Space Station". blogs.nasa.gov. Retrieved 2016-11-24.
- "Soyuz spacecraft with 3-man crew blasts off to Intl Space Station". RT News. 19 October 2016. Retrieved 19 October 2016.
- "KOUNOTORI6 Leaves the ISS". JAXA. 28 January 2017. Retrieved 29 January 2017.
- "KOUNOTORI6 performed its third de-orbit maneuver for reentry". JAXA. 5 February 2017. Retrieved 6 February 2017.
- "CRS-10 Dragon completes homecoming to conclude successful ISS mission | NASASpaceFlight.com". www.nasaspaceflight.com. Retrieved 2017-03-24.
- "After multiple delays, Progress MS-05 set for launch". spaceflightinsider. February 20, 2017.
- Chris Gebhardt (February 21, 2017). "Longest-serving rocket in history bids farewell with Progress MS-05 launch". NasaSpaceFlight.com.
- Pete Harding (2017-01-13). "EVA-39: Spacewalkers complete the upgrading of ISS batteries". NASASpaceflight.com. Retrieved 2017-01-13.
- HQ (2017-01-13). "ISS Daily Summary Report – 1/13/2017". NASA.gov. Retrieved 2017-01-13.
This article incorporates text from this source, which is in the public domain.
- Mark Garcia (2017-03-24). "Spacewalkers Successfully Complete Primary Tasks". NASA.gov. Retrieved 2017-03-24.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to ISS Expedition 50.|