Expeditie Robinson is a popular reality television program in the Netherlands and Flanders (Belgium) that debuted in 2000. It was the second production worldwide of a format first shown in Swedish TV in 1997. The format, most notable under the title Survivor, has since then also been produced in many other countries. The name of the show alludes to Robinson Crusoe, a story featuring people marooned by shipwreck.
|Created by||Charlie Parsons|
|Theme music composer||Hans Zimmer|
|Country of origin||Netherlands, Belgium|
|No. of seasons||15|
|No. of episodes||192|
|Production location(s)||Malaysia (2000-2002, 2004-2005, 2007-2010, 2012-)|
Philippines (2006, 2011)
|Original network||RTL 5 (Netherlands), VT4 (Belgium)|
|Original release||2000 –|
present (Netherlands)/2012 (Belgium)
The fifteenth season in 2013 was the first season without contestants from Belgium, due to lack of television ratings in Belgium. However, the Flemish host Evi Hanssen would continue to co-host the show with Dutch host Dennis Weening. In 2014 Evi was replaced by Nicolette Kluijver.
In most seasons, sixteen contestants are put into a survival situation and compete in a variety of physical challenges. Early in each season, two teams compete, but later the teams are merged and the competitions become individual ("samensmelting"). At the end of each show, one contestant is eliminated by the other teams in a secret "Island Council" ballot.
|Year||Location||Days||Castaways||Original tribes||Winner||Runner(s)-up||Final vote|
|2000||47||16||Two tribes of eight, divided into "North Team" and "South Team"||Karin Lindenhovius||Eva Willems||5-3|
|2001||39||Richard Mackowiak||Pascale Mertens||7-0|
|2002||47||Derek Blok||Olivier Glorieux||5-4|
|2003||Two tribes; the first with seven men and one woman, and the second with seven women and one man||Jutta Borms||Judge Chambliss||4-4|
|2004||39||18||Two tribes of eight, divided into participants' country of origin, België (Belgium) and Nederlands (Netherlands)||Frank de Meulder||Matthias Verscheure||10-2|
|2005||47||Two tribes of eight and a secret tribe of two, divided into age groups; under 30s, over 40s and 30s||Marnix Allegaert||Emma Van Den Bossche
|2006||Expeditie Robinson: Battle of the Titans
||30||17||Two tribes of eight||Ryan van Esch||Jennifer Smit||4-2|
|2006||48||16||Two tribes of eight, including two returning participants, divided into men from Belgium and women from Netherlands||Olga Urashova||Lenny Janssen||N/A|
|2007||100||Two tribes of 27, divided into "North Team" and "South Team"||Vinncent Arrendell||Willem Hogeveen||4-3|
|2008||47||16||Two tribes of eight||Yin Oei Sian||Hans Meenhorst||3-3|
|2009||21||Two tribes of eight women and a secret tribe with five men who needed to race through the jungle (in a certain time) to join te game||Marcel Vandezande||Rita Berger
|2010||28||17||Two tribes of eight celebrities and a celebrity coming from "Geheim Kamp"||Regina Romeijn||Tatiana Silva||4-2|
|2011||32||16||Two tribes of eight celebrities||Tanja Dexters||Niko Van Driessche
|2012||Two tribes of eight celebrities||Fatima Moreira de Melo||Fajah Lourens|
Christophe De Meulder
|2013||Two tribes of seven celebrities and an isolated tribe of two celebrities containing of the oldest male and oldest female contestant||Edith Bosch||Anna-Alicia Sklias|
|2014||18||Three tribes of six celebrities||Kay Nambiar||Ferry Doedens|
|2015||17||One tribe of seventeen celebrities, with one player outed to an other island with oneven number of players. The rest of the players divided themselves into two teams each episode.||Amara Onwuka||Anna Speller|
|2016||16||Two tribes of eight celebrities divided into "North Team" and "South Team" and lived on the same island||Bertie Steur||Thomas Dekker|
Diorno "Dio" Braaf
|2017||19||Two tribes of seven celebrities and a tribe consisting of four Dutch players and a celebrity||Carlos Platier Luna||Kaj Gorgels|
Soundos El Ahmadi
|2018||21||Two tribes of seven celebrities and a tribe of seven Dutch players||Jan Bronninkreef||Gregory Sedoc|
|2019||33||20||Two tribes of eight celebrities and an isolated tribe of four celebrities||Hugo Kennis||Shary-An Nivillac|
- Ultimately, it was Jutta Borms from Belgium who won the season over Judge Chambliss from the Netherlands with an initial jury vote of 4-4, which was eventually broken by a public jury vote in which the public voted in favor of making Jutta the winner with 66% of the vote.
- As the winner of this challenge Ilona van der Laan, along with Veronique De Pryker, who Ilona picked as the person she got along with the least, picked their tribes from the fifteen other contestants. The last person not picked, Björn Lemeirel, was eliminated from the game.
- When it came time to vote for a winner, the public, instead of a jury decided the winner. In the end, it was Olga Urashova who returned from Losers island in the final three, who won the season over Lenny Janssen with a public vote of 52% to Lenny's 48%.
- The initial major twist this season was that for the first time in the history of any Survivor franchise worldwide one hundred contestants would take part in a single season
- The twist, however, didn't last very long as in episode 2 twenty five of the contestants voluntarily left the game, in episode 3 twenty one contestants were eliminated as they were not picked to be on either the North team or the South team.
- At the live finale, 81 contestants from previous seasons had to choose their winner, due to the equal voting by the eliminated contestants.
Ernst Paul Hasselbach
The original presenter of Expeditie Robinson, Ernst Paul Hasselbach, died in 2008 in a car crash in Norway. He was there to make shoots for a new television program, 71 graden Noord, a spin-off of Expeditie Robinson.
- Official website of Expeditie Robinson
- Official website of Expeditie Robinson at 2BE
- Blog of Expeditie Robinson (Dutch)
- Expeditie Robinson on IMDb