Excellence-class cruise ship
The Excellence-class, including the sub-class designations of Helios-class and XL-class, is a class of cruise ships ordered by Carnival Corporation & plc for several of its subsidiary brands. The first, AIDAnova, entered service for AIDA Cruises in 2018, and subsequent ships will enter service for Costa Cruises from 2019, P&O Cruises from 2020, and Carnival Cruise Lines, also from 2020.
AIDAnova, the first ship in the class, in 2018
|Preceded by:||Vista class|
In March 2015, Carnival Corporation entered into a strategic partnership with Meyer Werft to build new ships between 2019 and 2022. In June 2015, four ships were ordered for delivery between 2019 and 2020. In September 2016, three more ships were ordered for Carnival Cruise Line and P&O Cruises for delivery in 2020 and 2022.
The Excellence-class will be the first cruise ships in the world to be dual fueled by liquefied natural gas (LNG) and traditional Fuel oil, which is intended to make them more environmentally friendly than traditional, diesel-powered ships. Each ship is expected to cost $950 million.
|Ship||Subclass||Built||Operator||Builder||Gross tonnage||Flag||IMO-number||Notes||Image||Newbuilding no.|
|AIDAnova||Helios-class||2018||AIDA Cruises||Meyer Werft||183,900||9781865||World's first LNG-powered cruise ship.||S.696|
|Costa Smeralda||2019||Costa Cruises||Meyer Turku||183,900||9781889||Construction Started on 13 September 2017||NB 1394|
|Iona||XL-class||2020||P&O Cruises||Meyer Werft||183,900||9826548||Construction Started on 25 April 2018||S.710|
|Mardi Gras||XL-class||2020||Carnival Cruise Line||Meyer Turku||183,900||9837444||Construction started on 15 November 2018|
keel laid on 18 June 2019
|AIDAcosma||Helios-class||2021||AIDA Cruises||Meyer Werft||183,900||Originally planned for 2020. Construction started on 15 August 2019.||S.709|
|Costa Toscana||2021||Costa Cruises||Meyer Turku||183,900||9781891||Originally planned for 2020. Construction started on 30 July 2019.||NB 1395|
|TBA||XL-class||2022||Carnival Cruise Line||Meyer Turku||183,900||NB 1397|
|TBA||XL-class||2022||P&O Cruises||Meyer Werft||183,900||S.716|
|TBA||Helios-class||2023||AIDA Cruises||Meyer Werft||183,900|
- "Steel cut for Carnival Cruise Line's first Excellence-class ship". Retrieved 2019-05-29.
- "AIDAnova". www.meyerwerft.de. Retrieved 2019-05-03.
- "P&O Cruises and Cunard make 2022 single use plastics commitment". Retrieved 2019-05-26.
- "Carnival Corporation Enters into Strategic Partnerships to Add Nine Cruise Ships to its Fleet over a Four-Year Period Starting in 2019". 2015-03-24. Retrieved 2017-01-02.
- "Carnival Corporation orders two cruise ships from Meyer Turku". 2015-06-15. Retrieved 2017-01-02.
- "Carnival Corporation Finalizes Contract with Meyer Werft to Build Four Next-Generation Cruise Ships". 2015-06-15. Retrieved 2017-01-02.
- "Carnival Corporation to Build Three New LNG-Powered Cruise Ships with Meyer Werft and Meyer Turku". 2016-09-06. Retrieved 2017-01-02.
- "Cruise ship ordeerbook". Retrieved 2017-02-25.
- "AIDA orders third Helios-class cruise ship". Retrieved 2019-05-30.
- "AIDAnova, World's 1st LNG Cruise Ship, Delivered". World Maritime News. 12 December 2018. Retrieved 10 September 2019.
- "Construction work begins on Costa Smeralda". World of Cruising. 14 September 2017. Retrieved 27 May 2018.
- "P&O Cruises marks first construction milestone for newest ship with steel cutting ceremony in Papenburg". Meyer Werft. 21 May 2018. Retrieved 27 May 2018.
- "Carnival Cruise Line Names First XL-Class Ship Mardi Gras". Retrieved 2019-05-30.
- "Carnival Mardi Gras cruise ship hull assembly has begun at Meyer Turku shipyard". 2019-06-18. Retrieved 2019-06-18.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Excellence-class cruise ship.|