Eveleigh Carriage Workshops
The Eveleigh Carriage Workshops were built by the New South Wales Government Railways in 1888 as a depot for its passenger carriage fleet. The workshops are located west of what is now Redfern station on the northern side of the Main Suburban railway line opposite the heritage-listed Eveleigh Railway Workshops.
|Operated||1889 – 1989|
|Location||Sydney, New South Wales, Australia|
|Area||located within the 51-hectare (130-acre) Eveleigh Complex|
|Defunct||Closed in 1989Carriageworks and other usesand repurposed as|
The repair and heavy maintenance of both Sydney suburban and long distance carriages were undertaken on site between 1888 until its closure in 1989. In 1986 the workshop was upgraded to refurbish single deck suburban carriages. Following this program ceasing the works closed in September 1989 after which it was used to store redundant carriages and to remove asbestos from locomotives and carriages.
- "Eveleigh Railway Workshops". New South Wales State Heritage Register. Office of Environment and Heritage. Retrieved 5 September 2017.
- "Eveleigh Carriage Works Upgrading". Railway Digest: 303. October 1986.
- "Rolling Stock". Railway Digest: 26. January 1990.
- "Old trains parked in old sidings". Railway Digest: 48. February 1992.
- "3801 Progress Report". Railway Digest: 42. March 1999.
- Carriageworks Carriageworks
- RailCorp S170 Heritage and Conservation Register RailCorp