The Estrie (French pronunciation: [ɛstʁi]) is an administrative region of Quebec that mostly overlaps the Eastern Townships (though not entirely). Estrie, a French neologism, was coined as a derivative of est, "east".
|Regional County |
Municipalities (RCM) and Equivalent
|• Regional conference of elected officers||Jacques Demers (President)|
|• Land||10,212.00 km2 (3,942.88 sq mi)|
|• Density||31.2/km2 (81/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (EST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
The region has a land area of 10,212.00 km² (3,942.88 sq mi) and a population of 319,004 inhabitants as of the 2016 Census. Its largest population centre is the city of Sherbrooke. Estrie also has numerous natural parks.
Regional County Municipalities
|Regional County Municipality (RCM)||Population
2016 Canadian Census
(pop. per km2)
|Seat of RCM|
|Coaticook||18,497||1,339.80 km2 (517.30 sq mi)||13.8||Coaticook|
|Le Granit||21,462||2,735.21 km2 (1,056.07 sq mi)||7.8||Lac-Mégantic|
|Le Haut-Saint-François||22,335||2,273.39 km2 (877.76 sq mi)||9.8||Cookshire-Eaton|
|Le Val-Saint-François||30,686||1,403.43 km2 (541.87 sq mi)||21.9||Richmond|
|Les Sources||14,286||787.13 km2 (303.91 sq mi)||18.1||Asbestos|
|Memphrémagog||50,415||1,319.29 km2 (509.38 sq mi)||38.2||Magog|
- Commission scolaire des Hauts-Cantons (Coaticook, East Angus and Lac-Mégantic).
- Commission scolaire de la Région-de-Sherbrooke
- Commission scolaire des Sommets
- "Census Profile, 2016 Census: Estrie [Economic region], Quebec". Statistics Canada. Retrieved November 22, 2019.
- "Population and Dwelling Count Highlight Tables, 2016 Census". Statistics Canada. Retrieved December 4, 2019.