Eston Park Academy
Eston Park Academy (formerly Eston Park School) was a mixed academy and sixth form in Teesville, Middlesbrough, North Yorkshire, England. It merged with neighbouring Gillbrook Academy in September 2014 and now forms part of a new single Hillsview Academy. The new merged academy is run by the Academies Enterprise Trust (as were the two former schools).
|Eston Park Academy|
|Motto||Endeavour, Progress, Achievement|
|Department for Education URN||137816 Tables|
|Age||11 to 19|
|Houses||Durham, Lincoln, Ripon, York and Normanby|
It had five houses: Durham, Lincoln, Ripon, York and Normanby (the house for the Sixth Form).
Sarah Metcalfe Comprehensive School on Burns Road, a former secondary modern school, closed in 1991 and became Eston Park School. On 31 January 2018, a large fire occurred, which is believed to have started in the Lincoln house area. No injuries were reported as the school had been closed since 2014. Cleveland Fire Brigade were called to the scene at 7:15 PM and controlled the fire around 10PM. Hillsview Academy was not affected.
Ofsted and academic achievement
In December 2009, the Ofsted report rated the school as "good", one that "provides a good standard of education and one that is improving under the positive leadership of the headteacher". Ofsted stated that "the school is determined that all students should be enabled to fulfil their dreams by developing into the business and community leaders of tomorrow". In May 2013 the school was judged inadequate by Ofsted.
On 1 January 2012, the school became an academy. Neighbouring Gillbrook College also become an academy and was renamed Gillbrook Academy.
Notable former pupils
Sarah Metcalfe Comprehensive School
- Mark Benton, television actor, known for Nationwide Building Society TV adverts from 2004–10
- Maddison, Lee (16 May 2013). "Two Eston academies to merge from September". GazetteLive.
- "Hillsview Academy Letter" (PDF). School website. 12 September 2013.
- Cain, James (31 January 2018). "Cleveland Fire Brigade called to blaze at disused school in Eston". GazetteLive.
- "2009 Inspection Report" (PDF). Ofsted.
- "2013 School inspection report" (PDF). Ofsted.
- "Academies Will Provide New Vision For Local Secondary Education". Academies Enterprise Trust. 20 June 2011. Archived from the original on 25 April 2012. Retrieved 5 November 2011.