Estadio Tomás Adolfo Ducó
Exterior view, 2007
|Former names||Jorge Newbery|
|Location||Av. Amancio Alcorta 2570,|
Ciudad Autónoma de Buenos Aires
|Owner||Club Atlético Huracán|
|Club Atlético Huracán|
The first ground of Huracán was land on Arenas street that belonged to the Municipality of Buenos Aires. In August 1924, the club moved to a new venue on the corner of Amancio Alcorta and Luna in Parque Patricios. The venue was named after Argentine aviator Jorge Newbery, from whose balloon the club had taken inspiration for its badge.
In April 1939 the club acquired the land –at a cost of $700,000– to remodelate the stadium. The National Government granted C.A. Huracán a loan to build its new home venue.
Tomás Adolfo Ducó
Works started in October 1941, under direction of Arquitects Curutchet, Giraldez & Olivera through their firm "CGO". The studio had designed the current Casa de la Moneda building in 1941. Works on Huracán's stadium lasted about six years, during which the club was granted another loan ($1,553,472) to finish the construction.
The remodelated stadium (works included the replacement of wooden grandstands by structures of concrete) was re-opened on September 7, 1947, in a Primera División match v Boca Juniors. Huracán won 4–3. Nevertheless, it was officially inaugurated on November 10, 1949, when Huracán beat Uruguayan side Peñarol 4–1.
In September 1967 the stadium was named "Tomás Adolfo Ducó", honoring the club's most notable president, who was also the main mover in the construction of the stadium, and a former player.
Ducó was imprisoned and confinated to Martín García Island. After being released, he returned to Huracán, being elected again as president of the club in 1949.
The stadium has been hosted several music concerts, mainly of local rock bands. Patricio Rey y sus Redonditos de Ricota gave their first concert in a stadium at Huracán in 1993, with more than 80,000 spectators.
Hard rock band La Renga performed in Huracán in 1999 with an attendance of 60,000. The band returned to the Ducó to record their live album Insoportablemente Vivo in 2001. They also recorded another live album, En el Ojo del Huracán five years later. The Palacio Ducó became a frecquent venue for the band, giving new concerts in 2017. Another Argentine rock band, Los Piojos, recorded a live album at Huracán in 2001.
In popular culture
The Tomás A. Ducó stadium was the first of Argentine football to appear on an Academy Awards-winning movie, The Secret in Their Eyes ("El Secreto de Sus Ojos"). In the movie, Inspector Espósito (played by Ricardo Darín and his collaborator Sandoval (Guillermo Francella) attend a Huracán v Racing match –held in Palacio Ducó– in search of a murder suspect, knowing he was a strong Racing supporter.
The phrase about the suspect's passion for a team ("The guy may change anything; his face, house, family, girlfriend, religion, God. But there is a thing that he can't change: his passion") became one of the most memorable moments of the film, not only to describe the character but the Argentine passion for football.
- "CA Huracán: Estadio Tomás Adolfo Ducó". Soccerway. Perform. Retrieved 28 November 2015.
- Estadio Tomás Ducó on Huracán website
- Moderno y majestuoso, el nuevo estadio de Huracán se yergue imponente para orgullo de su origen humilde by Diario Democracia, 23 Aug 1946
- El Palacio Tomás Ducó by Carlos Ruiz, June 2009
- Inauguración oficial del Palacio Ducó! on Huracán website
- El recuerdo del influyente Tomás Ducó in Diario Popular
- Los Redonditos de la Quema, Olé, 19 Nov 2018
- La Renga estalló en Huracán on El Acople website, 1 Jan 1999
- La Renga en Huracán, La Nación
- Fiesta en Huracán, El Acople
- Una escena de "El Secreto de sus Ojos", El Liberal.com
- Hay una cosa que no puede cambiar by Alberto Barbero on Marca, 9 Dec 2016
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Estadio Tomás Adolfo Ducó.|
- Estadio Tomás A. Ducó on Huracán website
- Estadio Tomás Adolfo Ducó photos at World Stadiums