Er Wang Dong
|Er Wang Dong|
|Location||Houping Township, Wulong County, Chongqing, China|
Current known length of its passages is 42,139 metres (138,251 ft) with a maximum depth of 441 m (1,447 ft). It is large enough to contain its own weather system. The cave starts in the 195 m (640 ft) deep Niubizi tiankeng (牛鼻子天坑; "ox nose sinkhole") and also contains the 295 m (968 ft) deep Qingkou tiankeng.
Both caves were explored by Hong Meigui Cave Exploration Society. Local people make weather forecasts based on the observations in Niubizi tiankeng - if there is a fog coming from the cave, rain is expected.
- Karst caves
- Karst formations of China
- List of caves in China
- "地下化石走廊——二王洞 (The Underground Fossil Corridor - Er Wang Dong)" (in Chinese). The Official Government Website of Houping Township, Wulong County. November 5, 2009. Archived from the original on October 4, 2013. Retrieved October 2, 2013.
- Griffiths, Sarah (October 2, 2013). "Er Wang Dong cave in China so huge it has its own weather system". Daily Mail. DMG Media. Retrieved October 2, 2013.
- Leslie Lapides (3 Oct 2013). "First-Ever Images of Er Wang Dong Cave, A Cave With Its Own Weather System". Weather.com. Archived from the original on 2013-10-04.
- "Er Wang Dong Cave". Wondermondo.
- "Website of Hong Meigui Cave Exploration Society".