Engle, New Mexico
Location within the state of New Mexico
Engle (the United States)
|Coordinates: 33°10′37″N 107°01′53″W|
|Elevation||4,777 ft (1,456 m)|
|Time zone||UTC-7 (Mountain (MST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-6 (MDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||888887|
Engle was a station on the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway and New Mexico State Road 51 passes through the community. Elephant Butte Reservoir and Truth or Consequences lie to the west and the San Andres Mountains are to the east.
El Camino Real de Tierra Adentro passed through the vicinity of Engle; two former segments of the road near Engle are listed on the National Register of Historic Places. West of Engle is Engle Lake originally known as the Laguna del Muerto (Lake of the Dead Man). It was a paraje, one of the few along this route through the Jornada del Muerto with reliable seasonal water and grass that grew on the lake bottom following the reteating waters of the evaporating lake. If the lake was dry, stock had to be driven to water at the spring Ojo del Muerto six miles west in the Fra Cristobal Range. :155-157
- Rudd Weatherwax, actor, was born in Engle.
- "Engle, New Mexico". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey.
- Engle, NM and Sowell, NM 15 Minute Topographic Quadrangles, USGS, 1959
- "Weekly List of Actions Taken On Properties: 2/13/12 Through 2/17/12". National Park Service. Retrieved December 9, 2014.
- George D. Torok, From the Pass to the Pueblos, Sunstone Press, Santa Fe, Dec 1, 2011
- IMBD-Rudd Weatherwax