Bungaree at Circular Quay in November 2017
|Operators:||Harbour City Ferries|
|Installed power:||2 x Yanmar 6AYEM-GT|
In November 2014, the Government of New South Wales announced six new ferries would be ordered for use on Sydney Ferries services. In September 2015, the contract to build the ferries was awarded to Incat. The first ferry was expected to enter service in late 2016.
However, the entry into service was delayed due to problems uncovered during testing that required modifications to the vessel. Fred Hollows was the first ferry to enter service, commencing operations on 26 June 2017. The introduction of the Emerald class ferries allowed the final two Lady class ferries to be withdrawn in October 2017.
The sixth was delivered carrying the name Emerald 6. Transport for NSW subsequently announced it would be renamed Ferry McFerryface along the same lines as Boaty McBoatface. However the Maritime Union of Australia refused to crew the vessel in protest at the name. It entered service in December 2017 named Emerald 6 with a Ferry McFerryface sticker below the bridge. In January 2018, following revelations that the name wasn't a public vote winner but selected by the Transport Minister, it was renamed May Gibbs.
|Name||Call Sign||MMSI||Shipyard No||Completed||Namesake||Reference|
|Catherine Hamlin||24622||503046120||082||2016||Catherine Hamlin|
|Fred Hollows||24712||503053140||083||2017||Fred Hollows|
|Victor Chang||24713||503055050||084||2017||Victor Chang|
|May Gibbs||24716||503059930||087||2017||May Gibbs|
- Six iconic new modern ferries for Sydney Harbour Transport for NSW 28 November 2014
- New Sydney ferries set to sail from 2016 Sydney Morning Herald 28 November 2014
- "Australian shipyard to build Sydney's new ferries". Transport for NSW. 23 September 2015. Archived from the original on 23 September 2015.
- Six new ferries for Sydney Harbour Archived 4 March 2016 at the Wayback Machine Incat 23 September 2015
- "Sydney's Ferry Fleet". Transport for NSW. Retrieved 30 January 2017.
- O'Sullivan, Matt (30 January 2017). "Sydney's first new government-owned ferries in years hit bumpy waters". The Sydney Morning Herald.
- "Fred Hollows enters service". Transport for NSW. 26 June 2017. Archived from the original on 26 June 2017. Retrieved 28 June 2017.
- McPhee, Sarah (26 June 2017). "New Barangaroo Wharf open for ferries". news.com.au. Australian Associated Press. Retrieved 28 June 2017.
- O'Sullivan, Matt (24 October 2017). "Fate of Sydney's last ladies of the harbour finally sealed". The Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 24 October 2017.
- Ferry McFerryface to be the name of new Sydney ferry after public vote ABC News 14 November 2017
- Ferry workers to boycott Ferry McFerryface SBS World News 14 November 2017
- Ferry McFerryface sets sail as union, government agree to name change Archived 14 January 2018 at the Wayback Machine Seven News 17 December 2017
- Ferry McFerryface wasn't public pick for new ferry name until Andrew Constance's captain's pick Daily Telegraph 30 January 2018
- Aussie doctor lends her name to newest ferry Transport for New South Wales 15 November 2016
- Incat ferries bound for Denmark & Sydney Harbour The Mercury 21 April 2017
- Victor Chang joins Sydney's ferry fleet Transport for New South Wales 18 August 2017
- Pemulwuy arrives in Sydney Transport for New South Wales 30 August 2017
- New ferries to cater for population boom along Parramatta River Sydney Morning Herald 2 October 2017