Embarcadero Technologies, Inc. is an American computer software company that develops, manufactures, licenses, and supports products and services related to software through several product divisions. It was founded in 1993, went public in 2000, and private in 2007, and became a division of Idera Software in 2015.
Database management system
|Headquarters||Austin, Texas, U.S.|
|Products||RAD Studio, Delphi, C++Builder, InterBase|
Number of employees
Embarcadero was founded in October 1993 by Stephen Wong, Stuart Browning, and Nigel Myers and released a tool for Sybase database administrators in December of the same year called Rapid SQL. it later added tools for software development on Microsoft Windows and other operating systems, and for database design, development and management, for platforms including Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server, IBM DB2, and MySQL.
In November the same year, the company acquired GDPro, a Unified Modeling Language software provider. In October 2005 Embarcadero acquired data security business Ambeo. In June 2007, Thoma Cressey Bravo bought Embarcadero, and it became a private company. Wayne Williams was appointed chief executive officer of Embarcadero Technologies in 2007.
On May 7, 2008 Borland Software Corporation announced that its software development tools division, CodeGear, was to be sold to Embarcadero Technologies for an expected $23 million price and $7 million in CodeGear accounts receivables retained by Borland. The acquisition closed on June 30, 2008 for approximately $24.5 million.
In December 2011, Embarcadero announced AppWave, an enterprise app store for PCs running Microsoft Windows instead of mobile phones. The platform supports Embarcadero software, commercial titles and free and open source apps. In April 2012 it was moved to a web site called AppWave Store.
In 2015-10-07, IDERA, Inc. announced an agreement to acquire Embarcadero Technologies, Inc., but the Embarcadero mark was retained for the developer tools division. As of 2015-10-28, Embarcadero was listed as 'acquired'.
- Until 2015, Embarcadero sold products like Rapid SQL and DB Artisan, and ER/Studio, and these products are now sold by its parent company directly, Idera.
- Interbase, a lightweight database for desktop and mobile app development, remains an Embarcadero product in 2016.
In July 2008 Embarcadero acquired CodeGear from the Borland Software Corporation.
Codegear owned a number of application development products, the most important ones that are still developed in 2016 are:
- Delphi is a rapid application development (RAD) environment and object-oriented dialect of the Pascal programming language, developed from Turbo Pascal. Delphi runs on Microsoft Windows, and produces applications for Windows, Mac OS X, and iOS and Android portable devices.
- C++Builder is equivalent to Delphi, but based on the C++ programming language instead of Pascal, using the Delphi Visual Component Library and a native C++ compiler. Most components developed in Delphi can be used in C++Builder with no modification, although the reverse is not true.
- Embarcadero RAD Studio is a rapid application development package which includes Delphi, C++Builder for building native Windows, Mobile and database applications.
- "About Us". Retrieved January 21, 2019.
- "Embarcadero Technologies Announces Company Chairman,Co-Founder Stephen Wong to Resume Posts of..." AllBusiness.com. June 1, 2000. Archived from the original on January 8, 2009. Retrieved January 21, 2019.
- "Prospectus". S-1/A. US Securities and Exchange Commission. April 19, 2000. Retrieved January 21, 2019.
- "Embarcadero Technologies, Inc. Stockholders Approve Merger With Thoma Cressey Bravo". SEC.gov. June 22, 2007. Retrieved January 21, 2019.
- "Embarcadero Technologies Buys CodeGear". SiliconTap.com. May 7, 2008. Retrieved January 21, 2019.
- "Embarcadero Technologies Closes Acquisition of CodeGear". July 1, 2008. Archived from the original on February 1, 2009. Retrieved January 21, 2019.
- Gardner, Dana (December 7, 2011). "Embarcadero brings self-service app store model to enterprises to target PCs and their universe of software". ZDNet. Retrieved January 21, 2019.
- del Castillo, Michael (April 24, 2012). "Microsoft App Store Competes With Microsoft". Upstart Business Journal. Archived from the original on October 22, 2013. Retrieved January 21, 2019.
- "Contact Us". Retrieved January 21, 2019.
- Jackson, Joab (March 14, 2014). "Embarcadero moves into data modeling with CA ERwin buy". IDG News Service. Retrieved January 21, 2019.
- "Embarcadero Technologies and CA Inc. Terminate Proposed Transfer of CA Inc.'s ERwin Data Modeler". Department of Justice. November 5, 2014. Retrieved January 21, 2019.
- "IDERA Announces Intent to Acquire Embarcadero, Expands Position in Database Management and Developer Tools Markets". Retrieved 2016-03-05.
- Anderson, Tim (October 8, 2015). "Microsoft tool-crafter Idera buys database, app firm Embarcadero". The Register. Retrieved January 21, 2019.
- IDERA Unveils Expanded Product Portfolio at PASS Summit 2015