Elvira Catalina Quintana Molina
7 November 1935
|Died||8 August 1968 32) (aged|
|Occupation||Actress, singer, poet|
Early life and career
Born in Montijo, Spain, Quintana and her family migrated to Mexico when she was 5 years old. She began her career working in theatre and later participated in films as an extra. Her first important role was as Carmen Ochoa in "Una solución inesperada", a segment of the drama film Canasta de cuentos mexicanos (1956). She then enrolled in the National Association of Actors' theatre and film institute (Instituto Teatral y Cinematográfico). She was given her first starring role in El buen ladrón (1957) before her breakthrough in Bolero inmortal (1958), in which she debuted as a singer; the film's soundtrack album, for which she recorded songs, was a commercial success throughout Hispanic America. She starred opposite Pedro Armendáriz, her favorite actor, in Dos hijos desobedientes (1960). Greatly admired by audiences for her beauty and talent, she became one of the most popular Mexican performers of the 1960s. Her last appearances were in the telenovelas El dolor de amar (1966), in which she played a villain for the first time, and Felipa Sánchez, la soldadera (1967), in which the press declared she created "an unforgettable character" as the title role.
Death and legacy
Quintana, who never married, suffered from pancreatic problems and renal failure during her last months. She died of a stroke on 8 August 1968, in Mexico City; she was survived by her mother, Alejandra Molina, and her two siblings, Juana Quintana Molina and José Díaz Molina. She was interred at the Panteón Jardín on 9 August.
A street in Montijo, her hometown, is named after her.
- The Mystery of the Express Car (1953)
- Look What Happened to Samson (1955)
- El vendedor de muñecas (1955)
- Furias desatadas (1957)
- Dangers of Youth (1960)
- Invincible Guns (1960)
- The Curse of the Doll People (1961)
- Tres muchachas de Jalisco (1964)
- Me LLaman El Cantaclaro(1964)
- Tintanson Cruzoe (1965)
- Las Tapatias nunca pierden (1965)
Lástima de Ropa (1971)
- Bolero inmortal (1958)
- Diferente (1963)
- Toda una vida (1965)
- Acércate más (1966)
- La inolvidable Elvira Quintana (1968)
- "Víctima de Complicaciones Renales y Pancreáticas, Murió E. Quintana: La Actriz, Nacida en la Madre Patria, Será Inhumada hoy en el Panteón Jardín". El Informador. 9 August 1968.
- Agrasánchez, Rogelio (2001). Beauties of Mexican Cinema. Agrasánchez Film Archive. p. 166. ISBN 9685077118.
- "La Artista de Cine Elvira Quintana Falleció Ayer". El Siglo de Torreón. 9 August 1968. Retrieved 13 January 2015.
- "Recibieron Sepultura los Restos de Elvira Quintana y E. García Cabral: Postrer y Sentido Tributo Rendido a los dos Artistas Ahora Desaparecidos". El Informador. 10 August 1968.