Education and career
Marchisotto graduated from Manhattanville College in 1967 and earned a master's degree from California State University, Northridge in 1977. She completed a Ph.D. in 1990 from New York University. Her dissertation, The contributions of Mario Pieri to mathematics and mathematics education, was jointly supervised by Kenneth P. Goldberg and Anneli Cahn Lax.
With James T. Smith, Marchisotto wrote a book on Mario Pieri, The legacy of Mario Pieri in geometry and arithmetic (Birkhäuser, 2007).
In 1995, Marchisotto became a co-author of an updated edition of The Mathematical Experience (a book originally published in 1981 by Reuben Hersh and Philip J. Davis), after having read the book and used it for her teaching from the early 1980s. She also co-authored an English translation of a history of mathematics by Umberto Bottazzini, Hilbert's Flute: The History of Modern Mathematics (with Bottazzini and Patricia Miller, Springer, 2016).
Marchisotto's textbooks include:
- "Marchisotto, Elena (1945–....)", IdRef – Identifiants et référentiels pour l'Enseignement supérieur et la recherche, retrieved 2018-11-11
- "Emeritus Faculty: Marchisotto, Elena A.", University Catalog, California State University, Northridge, 2018–2019
- Elena Marchisotto at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- Kilts, Stefanie (February 18, 2013), "Faculty of Year honorees focus on students: online and in classroom", Post Independent,
Jason Vargas owes it to a very special mentor that he is now teaching math at Colorado Mountain College. Dr. Elena Marchisotto, the director of the developmental math program at Cal State University – Northridge where Vargas attended college, recognized his potential and encouraged him to pursue teaching.
- Reviews of The legacy of Mario Pieri:
- Reviews of the updated edition of The Mathematical Experience:
- Burgess, J. P.; Ernest, P. (June 1997), Philosophia Mathematica, 5 (2): 175–188, doi:10.1093/philmat/5.2.173CS1 maint: untitled periodical (link)
- Bultheel, A. (1997), "Review", Bulletin of the Belgian Mathematical Society, 4 (5): 706–707
- Millett, Kenneth C. (November 1997), "Review" (PDF), Notices of the American Mathematical Society, 44 (10): 1316–1318
- Wilders, Richard J. (March 2012), "Review", MAA Reviews
- Marchisotto, Elena Anne Corie (2017), "A case study in Reuben Hersh's philosophy: Bézout's theorem", Humanizing mathematics and its philosophy, Birkhäuser/Springer, Cham, pp. 329–345, MR 3751539
- Review of Mathematics for High School Teachers:
- Ashbacher, Charles (December 2011), Review, MAA Reviews