Eglinton Square Shopping Centre
Eglinton Square Shopping Centre is an enclosed shopping mall in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, located at Eglinton Avenue East and Victoria Park Avenue in Scarborough's Golden Mile neighbourhood. It opened in 1954 as a strip plaza, like most retail space at the time, and was later converted to mall. It was notable for having a parking garage attached to Morgans department store, with a steep winding ramp. Morgans was bought by the Hudson's Bay Company and eventually became a Bay. The garage was demolished. The main shopping centre still has two 1960's style ramps that provides two levels of parking on top of the stores. The top most level is the roof of the building and is also provides open air parking spaces.
|Location||Toronto, Ontario, Canada|
|Address||1 Eglinton Square|
|Owner||Kingsett Capital, Bentall Kennedy (Canada) LP|
|No. of stores and services||80+|
|No. of anchor tenants||2|
|Total retail floor area||279,000 sq ft (25,900 m2)|
|No. of floors||1|
It is owned by Kingsett Capital and under the management of Bentall Kennedy (Canada) LP. It has approximately 279,000 sq ft (25,900 m2) of retail space with over 80 retail outlets. The mall is located on what was once the site of James Neilson's farm.
The Shopping centre is slated for major redevelopment, with high density condo buildings as part of the mix, due to the Eglinton Crosstown LRT that is being along Eglinton Avenue.
The mall was opened to the public in 1954 in an area once settled by farmland in the 1820s and re-developed as industrial land during World War II along Eglinton Avenue and surrounded by residential homes to the north, south and west sides.