The defunct railway station
|Coordinates: 40°46′14″N 87°31′34″W|
|Elevation||679 ft (207 m)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (Central (CST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||447634|
Effner is located at 40°46′14″N 87°31′34″W along US Routes 52 and 24 just east of the town of Sheldon. Most of Effner lies along the eastern edge of Sheldon Township in Iroquois County, Illinois; the local grain elevators and the defunct railway station are across the border in Jefferson Township in Newton County, Indiana. A line of the Toledo, Peoria and Western Railway connecting Sheldon and Kentland passes through town just south of the highway.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. March 13, 2018. Retrieved 2018-03-13.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Effner, Illinois". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. Retrieved 13 March 2018.
- "Effner, Indiana". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. Retrieved July 8, 2017.
- Baker, Ronald L. (October 1995). From Needmore to Prosperity: Hoosier Place Names in Folklore and History. Indiana University Press. p. 122. ISBN 978-0-253-32866-3.
...this village was established about 1860.
- "Newton County". Jim Forte Postal History. Retrieved 9 September 2015.