Air Marshal Edward Jackson Stringer, is a senior Royal Air Force officer. Since April 2018, he has been Director General of the Defence Academy and of Joint Force Development, Joint Forces Command. He served as Assistant Chief of the Air Staff from April 2013 to January 2015, and as Assistant Chief of the Defence Staff (Operations) from March 2015 to 2018.
|Service/||Royal Air Force|
|Years of service||1982 – present|
|Commands held||Air Warfare Centre|
No. 904 Expeditionary Air Wing
No. 54 Squadron
Operation Southern Watch
Operation Unified Protector
|Awards||Companion of the Order of the Bath|
Commander of the Order of the British Empire
Stringer studied engineering at the University of Liverpool, and graduated with a Bachelor of Engineering (BEng) degree in 1985. Having studied international relations at King's College London, he completed a Master of Arts (MA) degree in 2010.
Stringer was commissioned into the General Duties Branch of the Royal Air Force on 5 September 1982 as an acting pilot officer. He was regraded to pilot officer on 15 July 1985 with seniority from 15 April 1984. Following flying training, he was posted to the Jaguar Force. He then became a Qualified Weapons Instructor. He was promoted to flying officer on 15 January 1986 with seniority from 15 October 1984, and to flight lieutenant on 15 April 1987. He saw active service in the Gulf War of 1990 to 1991. On 1 January 1995, he was promoted to squadron leader as part of the half yearly promotions. Between April and September 1999, he was posted to the Gulf as part of Operation Southern Watch to maintain the Iraqi no-fly zones, for which he was appointed a Member of the Order of the British Empire "in recognition of [his] gallant and distinguished services".
He became officer commanding No. 54 Squadron in which capacity he was deployed as Jaguar Force Commander for the invasion of Iraq in 2003. He was advanced from member to Officer of the Order of the British Empire in the 2003 Birthday Honours. He became Station Commander at RAF Leeming and then commanding officer of No. 904 Expeditionary Air Wing based at Kandahar in 2008. Advanced to Commander of the Order of the British Empire in the 2009 New Year Honours, Stringer was appointed Commandant of the Air Warfare Centre later that year. In this role he was deployed as Air Contingent Commander for the NATO Operation in Libya (Operation Unified Protector). He went on to be Liaison Officer to the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff in Washington D.C. in October 2012.
On 5 April 2013, he was promoted to air vice marshal and appointed Assistant Chief of the Air Staff. In January 2015, he was succeeded in that role by Richard Knighton. In March 2015, he was appointed Assistant Chief of the Defence Staff (Operations). On 11 April 2018, he was promoted to air marshal, and appointed Director General of the Defence Academy and of Joint Force Development, Joint Forces Command.
- "RAF base embarks on its change of role". Darlington and Stockton Times. 8 December 2006. Retrieved 14 March 2014.
- "Air Marshal E J Stringer CBE". Ministry of Defence. Archived from the original on 18 March 2012. Retrieved 14 July 2013.
- "Edward Stringer". LinkedIn. Retrieved 15 July 2013.
- "Air Marshal Edward Stringer CB CBE MA BEng RAF". Defence Academy of the United Kingdom. Ministry of Defence. Retrieved 14 May 2018.
- "No. 49156". The London Gazette (Supplement). 1 November 1982. p. 14278.
- "No. 50258". The London Gazette (Supplement). 16 September 1985. p. 12794.
- "No. 50440". The London Gazette (Supplement). 24 February 1986. pp. 2716–2717.
- "No. 50921". The London Gazette (Supplement). 18 May 1987. pp. 6471–6472.
- "No. 53902". The London Gazette (Supplement). 30 December 1994. pp. 63–64.
- "No. 55819". The London Gazette (Supplement). 14 April 2000. p. 4253.
- "No. 61920". The London Gazette. 5 May 2017. p. 9404.
- "No. 58929". The London Gazette (Supplement). 31 December 2008. p. 6.
- "Ups and outs July 2013". Defence Viewpoints. Retrieved 14 July 2013.
- "No. 60543". The London Gazette (Supplement). 18 June 2013. p. 11992.
- "AIR RANK AND COMMAND APPOINTMENTS LIST 11.14". Senior Appointments. Royal Air Force. 9 December 2014. Retrieved 22 April 2015.
- "No. 62279". The London Gazette (Supplement). 4 May 2018. p. 8152.
- "No. 61962". The London Gazette (Supplement). 16 June 2017. p. B2.
| Assistant Chief of the Air Staff
2013 to 2015
| Director General of the Defence Academy
2018 to present