Ebb Tide (1937 film)
Frances Farmer in the film
|Directed by||James P. Hogan|
|Produced by||Lucien Hubbard|
|Written by||Bertram Millhauser|
|Based on||The Ebb-Tide|
by Robert Louis Stevenson and Lloyd Osbourne
|Music by||Victor Young|
|Edited by||LeRoy Stone|
|Distributed by||Paramount Pictures|
In 1890, three Westerners stranded on a tropical island in the South Pacific get an offer to captain a cargo boat.
Paramount had previously filmed the story in 1922. In March 1937 they announced they would film the story again under the title of With the Tide starring Frances Farmer, and produced by Lucien Hubbard. Lloyd Osborne was writing the script and Hubbard wanted Henry Hathaway do direct. Paramount were going to make the film as one of its two color movies for the season.
By April Paramount had decided to revert to the story's original title and Ray Milland had joined the cast with Hathaway to direct. Then Oscar Homolka, at the time best known for playing a role in Rhodes of Africa, signed a four year contract with Paramount and was given a lead role in Ebb Tide. Barry Fitzgerald and Lloyd Nolan rounded out the main cast.
Henry Hathaway was delayed on shooting Souls at Sea so he was replaced as director by James Hogan.
- "Advertisement with photo captioned, "Oscar Homolka, Frances Farmer, Ray Milland and others of the cast of Paramount's "Ebbtide" in Technicolor use the new Screen and stage make-up by Elizabeth Arden". Screenland Magazine, Inc. September 1937. Retrieved June 10, 2018.
- Ebb Tide Monthly Film Bulletin; London Vol. 4, Iss. 37, (Jan 1, 1937): 246.
- Ebb Tide bfi.org.uk
- NEWS OF THE SCREEN: Paramount to Remake Stevenson's 'Ebb Tide'Change of Plans for Irene Dunne Of Local Origin New York Times 10 Mar 1937: 27.
- NEWS OF THE SCREEN: Barbara Stanwyck Returns to Comedy--Anna Sten Tested for Role in Fredric March Film Of Local Origin Special to THE NEW YORK TIMES. New York Times (1923-Current file); New York, N.Y. [New York, N.Y]02 Apr 1937: 19.
- NEWS OF THE SCREEN: Four New Films Today--Paramount Buys Another Mystery Story, Signs Oscar Homolk for 'Ebb Tide' News From Hollywood New York Times 15 Apr 1937: 19.
- GRANT RICHARDS OF FEDERAL THEATER SIGNED FOR FILM LEAD: Ian Hunter Borrowed for Wanger Picture Schallert, Edwin. Los Angeles Times 21 May 1937: 19.
- Hollywood Polynesians Given Visit: Hundred Expatriates Get Old Home Week at Catalina Village Los Angeles Times 25 July 1937: C4.
- COLORING THE SOUTH SEAS By IDWAL JONES. New York Times 14 Nov 1937: 184.
- Color Movies Will Go to Sea for 'Ebb Tide' Shaffer, George. Chicago Daily Tribune 5 June 1937: 17.
- CHAPLIN PLANS NEW CHARACTER FOR HIS DEBUT IN TALKING PICTURES: Republic Seeks Warbler for "Parade" Lead Schallert, Edwin. Los Angeles Times 14 Sep 1937: 14.