East Barnet War Memorial
East Barnet War Memorial is a memorial to the dead of the First and Second World Wars from East Barnet, London. It was unveiled on 27 June 1920 and originally stood on the crossroads of East Barnet Road and Church Hill Road, but was later moved a short distance so that it now stands in front of the Brookside Methodist Church.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to East Barnet War Memorial.|
Catherine Loveday's campaign
As a child, Catherine Loveday was puzzled by the absence of her father's name on the East Barnet War Memorial, so in later life she launched a campaign to have his name added to the memorial, which it was in 1995. At that time, it was the only Second World War name to be included but Loveday later succeeded in having the names of a further 35 men added. She then moved on to the memorials at New Barnet and Hendon.
- WWII soldiers remembered but fight goes on to do more. Kim Inam, Barnet & Whetstone Press, 31 January 2011. Retrieved 5 September 2015.
- East Barnet War Memorial; Proposal for the addition of WW2 names. London Borough of Barnet, 2010. Retrieved 5 September 2015.
- Forgotten heroes of World War Two to have names added to Hendon war memorial. James Caven, Times series, 10 February 2015. Retrieved 5 September 2015.