The EMD F9 is a 1,750 horsepower (1,300 kW) Diesel-electric locomotive produced between February 1953 and May 1960 by the Electro-Motive Division of General Motors (EMD) and General Motors Diesel (GMD). It succeeded the F7 model in GM-EMD's F-unit sequence. Final assembly was at GM-EMD's La Grange, Illinois plant. The F9 was also built in Canada by General Motors Diesel at their London, Ontario plant. A total of 101 cab-equipped lead A units and 156 cabless booster B units were built. The F9 was the fifth model in GM-EMD's highly successful "F" series of cab unit diesel locomotives.
D&RGW F9 #5771 in 2009. Note the carbody filter grille ahead of the front porthole, the only reliable distinguishing feature of an F9.
A F9 can be distinguished reliably from a late F7 only by the addition of an extra filter grille ahead of the front porthole on the side panels on A units. Internally, the use of an 567C prime mover increased power to 1,750 hp (1.30 MW) from the F7's 1,500 hp (1.12 MW).
By the time cab units such as the F9 were built, railroads were turning to the road switcher-style of locomotive, and the F9 was succeeded in most part by the EMD GP9.
Engine and powertrain
The F9 used a 16-cylinder 567C series Diesel engine developing 1,750 hp (1.30 MW) at 800 rpm. The 567 was designed specifically for locomotive applications, being a 45 degree V-type two-stroke design, with 567 cu in (9.29 L) displacement per cylinder, for a total of 9,072 cu in (148.66 L). A D.C. generator powered four D37 traction motors, two on each Blomberg B truck. EMD has built all of its major components since 1939.
Locomotives built by EMD at La Grange, Illinois
|Owner||Quantity A units||Quantity B units||Road numbers A units||Road numbers B units||Notes|
|Electro Motive Division (demonstrator)||to NP 7050A (freight), Built 2/53|
|Electro Motive Division (plant)||Rebuilt 5/60 from C&NW F7 6501A|
|Atlantic Coast Line||Rebuilt May 1957 from wrecked F7's; same numbers.|
|Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway|
|Chesapeake and Ohio Railway||rebuilt February 1955 from wrecked F7s|
|Chicago and North Western||Built from trade-in FTs alongside four FP9 and rated at 1500 hp.|
|Colorado and Southern Railway||Rebuilt March 1959 from wrecked F7|
|Denver and Rio Grande Western Railroad||5571 rebuilt February 1954 from wrecked F7 and rated at 1500 hp.|
|Erie Mining Company|
|Ferrocarriles Nacionales de México|
|Fort Worth and Denver Railway||Rebuilt March 1959 from wrecked F7|
|Great Northern Railway|
|Kansas City Southern Railway||rebuilt from wrecked F3A,F7A,F3B F7B|
|Kansas City Southern (Louisiana and Arkansas Railway)||rebuilt from wrecked F7|
|Louisville and Nashville Railroad||811 rebuilt from F7|
|Northern Pacific Railway||Freight units|
|Northern Pacific Railway||Passenger units|
|St. Louis-San Francisco Railway|
|Wabash Railroad||Rebuilt March 1959 from wrecked F7|
- Lamb, J. Parker (2007). Evolution of the American Diesel Locomotive. Railroads Past and Present. Bloomington, Indiana: Indiana University Press. ISBN 978-0-253-34863-0.
- Marre, Louis A. (1995). Diesel Locomotives: The First 50 Years: A Guide to Diesels Built Before 1972. Railroad Reference Series. Waukesha, Wisconsin: Kalmbach Publishing. ISBN 978-0-89024-258-2.
- Pinkepank, Jerry A. (1973). The Second Diesel Spotter's Guide. Milwaukee, Wisconsin: Kalmbach Publishing. ISBN 978-0-89024-026-7.
- Schafer, Mike (1998). Vintage Diesel Locomotives. Enthusiast Color Series. Osceola, Wisconsin: MBI Publishing. ISBN 978-0-7603-0507-2.
- Solomon, Brian (2000). The American Diesel Locomotive. Osceola, Wisconsin: MBI Publishing Company. ISBN 978-0-7603-0666-6.
- Solomon, Brian (2005). EMD F-Unit Locomotives. North Branch, Minnesota: Specialty Press. ISBN 978-1-58007-192-5.
- Solomon, Brian (2006). EMD Locomotives. St. Paul, Minnesota: Voyageur Press. ISBN 978-0-7603-2396-0.
- Solomon, Brian (2010). Vintage Diesel Power. Minneapolis, Minnesota: MBI Publishing. ISBN 978-0-7603-3795-0.
- Solomon, Brian (2011). Electro-Motive E-Units and F-Units: The Illustrated History of North America's Favorite Locomotives. Minneapolis, Minnesota: Voyageur Press. ISBN 978-0-7603-4007-3.
- Solomon, Brian (2012). North American Locomotives: A Railroad-by-Railroad Photohistory. Minneapolis, Minnesota: Voyageur Press. ISBN 978-0-7603-4370-8.
- Wilson, Jeff (1999). F Units: The Diesels That Did It. Golden Years of Railroading. Waukesha, Wisconsin: Kalmbach Publishing. ISBN 978-0-89024-374-9.
Media related to EMD F9 locomotives at Wikimedia Commons