The E127 series (E127系) is a DC electric multiple unit (EMU) train type operated on local services by East Japan Railway Company (JR East) in Japan since 1995, and also by the third-sector railway operator Echigo Tokimeki Railway since March 2015 as the ET127 series. The design is derived from the 209 series commuter EMU.
Niigata-based E127 series set V11 at Niigata Station in May 2008
|Manufacturer||JR East, Kawasaki Heavy Industries, Tokyu Car Corporation|
|Number built||50 vehicles (25 sets)|
|Number in service||48 vehicles (24 sets) as of 1 April 2016|
|Number scrapped||2 vehicles (1 set)|
|Formation||2 cars per trainset|
|Depot(s)||Niigata, Naoetsu, Matsumoto|
|Car body construction||Stainless steel|
|Car length||20,000 mm (65 ft 7 in)|
|Width||2,800 mm (9 ft 2 in)|
|Doors||3 pairs per side|
|Maximum speed||110 km/h (70 mph)|
|Traction system||MT71 motors (120 kW x 4), GTO-VVVF|
|Electric system(s)||1,500 V DC|
|Current collection method||Overhead catenary|
|Safety system(s)||ATS-SN, ATS-P, ATS-Ps|
|Track gauge||1,067 mm (3 ft 6 in)|
- E127-0 series: 13 x 2-car sets built for the Niigata area (originally used on Echigo Line, Hakushin Line, Uetsu Main Line)
- E127-100 series: 12 x 2-car sets for Matsumoto area (Oito Line, Shinonoi Line)
- ET127 series: 10 x former E127-0 series 2-car sets operated by Echigo Tokimeki Railway (ETR) since March 2015
Both types use the same bogies as the 701 series EMUs: DT61A motor bogies and TR246A trailer bogies.
As of 1 April 2017, E127 series train sets are used on the following lines.
- E127-0 series
- E127-100 series
- ET127 series
Thirteen two-car sets were built by Kawasaki Heavy Industries and Tokyu Car, and delivered to Niigata Depot in March 1995 (sets V1 to V6) and November 1996 (sets V7 to V13) for use on Echigo Line, Hakushin Line, and Uetsu Main Line local services. They entered service on 8 May 1995.
The sets can be operated as up to six-car formations, and can be used on wanman driver only operation services.
From 14 March 2015, ten E127-0 series sets were transferred to the ownership of the third-sector railway operating company Echigo Tokimeki Railway for use on the newly named Myoko Haneuma Line, and reclassified as ET127 series (see below). Set V3 was withdrawn in October 2014, leaving just two sets, V12 and V13, in the ownership of JR East. These two sets are used mainly on Yahiko Line and Echigo Line services.
|Numbering||KuMoHa E127-x||KuHa E126-x|
- The KuMoHa E127 car has one PS30 cross-arm type pantograph.
- The KuHa E126 car has a toilet and wheelchair space.
Twelve two-car sets were built by Kawasaki Heavy Industries, JR East (Tsuchizaki Factory), and Tokyu Car, and delivered to Matsumoto Depot in November and December 1998 for use on Ōito Line and Shinonoi Line local services. They entered service on 8 December 1998. The external styling differs from the earlier E127-0 series, resembling the 701 series design. Sets A7 to A12 have a second de-icing pantograph on the KuHa trailer car.
As of 1 April 2016, twelve two-car sets, A1 to A12, are in operation, based at Matsumoto Depot, and formed as shown below, with one motored "Mc" car and one non-powered trailer "Tc" car, and car 1 at the Matsumoto end.
|Numbering||KuMoHa E127-1xx||KuHa E126-1xx|
- Car 1 has one PS34 single-arm pantograph. (Also on car 2 for sets A7 to A12.)
- Car 2 has a toilet and wheelchair space.
From 14 March 2015, ten former JR East E127-0 series sets were transferred to the ownership of the third-sector railway operating company Echigo Tokimeki Railway for use on the newly named Myoko Haneuma Line, and reclassified as ET127 series.
As of 1 April 2016, ten ET127 series two-car trainsets are operated by Echigo Tokimeki Railway, numbered V1 to V10, and based at Naoetsu Depot, formed as shown below, with one motored "Mc" car and one non-powered trailer "Tc" car.
|Set No.||Manufacturer||Date delivered||Date withdrawn||Notes|
|V1||Kawasaki Heavy Industries||25 March 1995||Transferred to ETR March 2015|
|V2||Kawasaki Heavy Industries||25 March 1995||Transferred to ETR March 2015|
|V3||Kawasaki Heavy Industries||27 March 1995||20 October 2014|
|V4||Kawasaki Heavy Industries||27 March 1995||Transferred to ETR March 2015 (→V3)|
|V5||Kawasaki Heavy Industries||29 March 1995||Transferred to ETR March 2015 (→V4)|
|V6||Kawasaki Heavy Industries||29 March 1995||Transferred to ETR March 2015 (→V5)|
|V7||Kawasaki Heavy Industries||20 November 1996||Transferred to ETR March 2015 (→V6)|
|V8||Kawasaki Heavy Industries||20 November 1996||Transferred to ETR March 2015 (→V7)|
|V9||Kawasaki Heavy Industries||21 November 1996||Transferred to ETR March 2015 (→V8)|
|V10||Kawasaki Heavy Industries||21 November 1996||Transferred to ETR March 2015 (→V9)|
|V11||Kawasaki Heavy Industries||22 November 1996||Transferred to ETR March 2015 (→V10)|
|V12||Tokyu Car||28 November 1996|
|V13||Tokyu Car||28 November 1996|
|Set No.||Manufacturer||Date delivered|
|A1||Kawasaki Heavy Industries||7 November 1998|
|A2||Kawasaki Heavy Industries||7 November 1998|
|A3||Kawasaki Heavy Industries||21 November 1998|
|A4||Kawasaki Heavy Industries||21 November 1998|
|A5||Kawasaki Heavy Industries||24 November 1998|
|A6||Kawasaki Heavy Industries||24 November 1998|
|A7||Kawasaki Heavy Industries||28 November 1998|
|A8||Kawasaki Heavy Industries||28 November 1998|
|A9||JR East (Tsuchizaki)||18 November 1998|
|A10||JR East (Tsuchizaki)||11 December 1998|
|A11||Tokyu Car||16 November 1998|
|A12||Tokyu Car||16 November 1998|
- JR全車輌ハンドブック2009 [JR Rolling Stock Handbook 2009] (in Japanese). Japan: Neko Publishing. 2009. p. 259. ISBN 978-4-7770-0836-0.
- JR電車編成表 2015冬 [JR EMU Formations - Winter 2015] (in Japanese). Japan: Kotsu Shimbunsha. 21 November 2014. pp. 38, 103. ISBN 978-4-330-51614-1.
- JR電車編成表 2015夏 [JR EMU Formations - Summer 2015] (in Japanese). Japan: Kotsu Shimbunsha. 20 May 2015. pp. 38, 357. ISBN 978-4-330-56915-4.
- JR電車編成表 2016夏 [JR EMU Formations - Summer 2016] (in Japanese). Japan: Kotsu Shimbunsha. 20 May 2016. pp. 38, 102. ISBN 978-4-330-68216-7.
- 私鉄車両編成表 2016 [Private Railway Rolling Stock Formations - 2016] (in Japanese). Japan: Kotsu Shimbunsha. 25 July 2016. p. 108. ISBN 978-4-330-70116-5.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to E127 series.|
- JR East E127 series (in Japanese)